Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Talk about April Fool's(FlexDrive drives to 0.18V)

OMG...

...my heart's still beating like mad, 'cause I just had my very first encounter with Dr. Lava's Flexdrive and the sudden shut-down effect from a completely drained battery...  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

I thought I had lost my RomiRed... and it's not even a month old...  :'(

Then I took out the 3.6V 14500, measured it with my voltmeter and it registered like 0.14V...  :p Swapped out the battery... then there was [coherent] light... *lets out enormous sigh!!!*

April fools biiig tiiime...  ;D

Re: Talk about April Fool's...

<--- Yeah... april fools... Who needs it?

Is the battery recoverable? 0.14V sounds like certain death to me.

Niko said:
You all missed it...
Sorry, it's still eluding me...  :-/
EDIT: Got it, you changed your Avitar for the day...  :p

But in the meantime, my red "ate" another battery... I think the FlexDrive's gone south on me...   :eek: :( :'(

Traveller said:
[quote author=Niko link=1238623973/0#3 date=1238635538]You all missed it...
Sorry, it's still eluding me...  :-/

But in the meantime, my red "ate" another battery... I think the FlexDrive's gone south on me...   :eek: :( :'([/quote]
Get protected ones? :-?

HumanSymphony said:
Get protected ones? :-?

Yeah, they're protected... why? It's not like I give a flyin' puck in a rollin' doughnut about the DX $3.98 14500s...  :p

But anyways, I charged the pair of Trustfire protected "blue-wrapped" 3.7V 900mAh 14500s that were both measuring 0.18V when the flexdrive powered off. They "topped off" at around 4.8V...  :eek:

I placed one in my Ultrafire C3 (Cree P4) flashlight, the other in my RomiRed and did a few duty cycles (4x @ 90s) with both. The charge dropped only a few tenths of a volt (to around 4.65V or so) in both and the flashlight was even a bit lower than the laser, so...

I dunno what deal-iee-oh is, maybe time to cruise on over to the DIY corner and see what the Flexdrive gurus have to say about it...

Re: Talk about April Fool's(FlexDrive drives to 0.

Are you sure it did not kill the batteries charging them to 4.8v? Lithium cells don't like being charged to over 4.2v in general.

charlie bruce said:
Are you sure it did not kill the batteries charging them to 4.8v?
I have absolutely no clue. Like a lot of members, I use the "recommended" DX UltaFire 14500 charger and I let it charge 'till the light turns green... .

Anyways those "dead" batteries are working pretty good atm, but who knows, maybe their lifespan has just been greatly reduced... :-/

I could be wrong, but protected batteries shut off when they reach their decharge limit and so register little to no voltage until recharged.