Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Survival Lasers 405 / 445 x-tension tubes?

I've bugged Gary too much with newb question PM's lately, so I will post my question here.

I have a Survival Lasers folder on my hard drive; copied data & tables, downloaded PDF manuals from his website, etc. From the answers to this post, I will copy and paste into -> my Survival Lasers info for future purchases.

I have an SL-R 660nm 300mw. There is only one battery option for this, 1x 18650, although one can upgrade the lens, which I am doing.

I think my next laser (probably next month) will be a Survival Laser 405. Then MAYBE I will get an SL 445 (I am a little scared of it though... or ANY of the 1W+ blues... we'll see).

For the SL 405 and 445, you can get Extension Tubes which apparantly can add to the run- times- between- charges, and possibly increase the output.

From Gary's website;

Battery Extension Tube Summary
The battery extension tube allows the use of two "18650" Li-ion batteries with the Survival Laser I, II or V for higher battery capacity, longer total run times and at full output power. This tube can also be used in other Aurora C6-style laser builds that normally use two CR123A or RCR123A batteries. However, DO NOT use this battery extension tube with laser builds that include a "boost" driver circuit that is limited to a maximum input voltage of 5.5-6V, as you will likely damage or destroy the driver. Also, not for use with the Survival Laser R. Black anodized aluminum with bare threads for good electrical conductivity. Note: Laser and batteries not included.

For the 405; package includes as a default:
a pair of rechargeable RCR123A batteries (P/N SL-123BR),

For the 445; same as 405 (2x RCR123A batteries).

I can understand how swapping 2x RCR123A for 2x 18650 WILL increase the run time (between charges).

I am a little hazy on the EXACT effect of swapping 2x RCR123A for 2x 18650 on the OUTPUTs on these two lasers. I can't seem to specifically cross-reference anything definite and consistant (both from his website, and LPF forum searches). I don't have an LPM, so I would like to know ahead of time what the EXPECTED outputs would be for 2x 18650 versus 2x RCR123A would be on BOTH of these lasers.

I don't have a Survival Laser but as far as batteries go ,atleast the batteries i have both the rcr123a and the 18650 are both 3.7volts ,,just the 18650 hold more juice,,,my 18650's are Aw brand and there 2900mAh while my rcr123a are also Aw brand and 750mAh,,,so by swapping the rcr123a out and replacing them with 18650's the laser should still kick out the same power(mW) just have much longer running time,,,,hope that helps you out

I don't have a Survival Laser but as far as batteries go ,atleast the batteries i have both the rcr123a and the 18650 are both 3.7volts ,,just the 18650 hold more juice,,,my 18650's are Aw brand and there 2900mAh while my rcr123a are also Aw brand and 750mAh,,,so by swapping the rcr123a out and replacing them with 18650's the laser should still kick out the same power(mW) just have much longer running time,,,,hope that helps you out

If you don't know for sure how is that supposed to help him?

I just tried 2x18650s with my yobresal 1.2W and I did not notice any difference in a 5 second black plastic burn. That is just an observation however.

Last edited:
I'm sorry i did not mean to upset anyone ,but thats why i said "it should kick out the same power" and not that it does kick out the same power,,:oops: and only spoke about the battery part of the question

Last edited:
Lol it doesn't matter man. I'm sure someone will have an exact answer for him soon.

I'm sure someone will answer also with a more fitting answer than mine lol, as the Survival Lasers are priced to sell and seem to be hitting there power claims ,also the kits look like realy good builds, built to last and take everyday use

I am a little hazy on the EXACT effect of swapping 2x RCR123A for 2x 18650 on the OUTPUTs on these two lasers. I can't seem to specifically cross-reference anything definite and consistant (both from his website, and LPF forum searches). I don't have an LPM, so I would like to know ahead of time what the EXPECTED outputs would be for 2x 18650 versus 2x RCR123A would be on BOTH of these lasers.

All depends on the driver.

In this case I doubt you will see any gain in power. This driver is made to handle either 2 cr123a's or 2 18650's. Which means a total input voltage of max ~8.4.

What you are going to see is much better run time on two 18650s.

If instead of two cr123a batteries you use 1 18650, you're only providing half the voltage the driver is meant to accept, so most likely you will end up getting about a quarter of the output.

Last statement is in no way scientific, just personal experience messing around with battery combos.

barbel1976 is completely correct, I'm just more verbose:p

Last edited:
All depends on the driver.

In this case I doubt you will see any gain in power. This driver is made to handle either 2 cr123a's or 2 18650's. Which means a total input voltage of max ~8.4.

What you are going to see is much better run time on two 18650s.

If instead of two cr123a batteries you use 1 18650, you're only providing half the voltage the driver is meant to accept, so most likely you will end up getting about a quarter of the output.

Last statement is in no way scientific, just personal experience messing around with battery combos.

barbel1976 is completely correct, I'm just more verbose:p

:thanks: but no worries i won't let it go to my head lol even a broken watch is right twice a day

Well I could have said you "probably were right", but it still wouldn't have been a 100 percent answer. And just for the record I thought that it "probably woudn't increase the power" at all as well.

I have a laser that I suspect aside from the focus adapter, is 100% the same as the survival laser.

I'd have to double check with Steviediezie... got it from him while back and he's temporarily out of commission.

Anyway, I tried three battery types with it, the regular 16340 (cr123a) that we all know and use, the 18650, and 18350 batteries.

These are all 3.7v batteries.

LPM results with the 16340s and the 18350s were nearly identical, although slightly higher with the 16340s. I suspect because they were fully charged.

The 18350's are a little thicker, same thickness as the 18650 so IMO for an aurora c6 build they are a much better fit. They do offer a better run time.

Same laser with one 18650 did work, but only put put ~200mW. Which on occasion is actually imo useful.

^^^LOL! You actually have a few... they aren't displayed and you can't give rep until you have at least 50 posts though.

@LD - Rep me when you get your new toy:D

Okay, thanks much.

I guess this statement from the battery tube extension throws me;
... for higher battery capacity, longer total run times and at full output power.

... and I should have mentioned (didn't think to before) that it DID occur to me that driver boards (probably?) at least attempt to maintain steady current in spite of voltage changes.

So I guess it's context. When Gary says "longer total run times and at full output power", what he is saying is that the laser will maintain full power longer with an X-Tension tube / 18650s.

LD; thanks, something "clicked", and I'm pasting into my notes... a 405/445 with 1x 18650 versus the default 2x CR132A = a "kinder, gentler laser". Hehehe. The 445 would be a LITTLE safer, anyway.

EDIT; IF 1x 18650 instead of 2x CR123A will fit. But I think I read about someone doing this in a post, in order to have a lower output 445.

EDIT;

LD; Sorry :(
29e5738.jpg

REP'd everyone else though.

Last edited:
@JBTexas

I'm sure you realize this, but want to mention it anyway... if you have a laser that takes one 18650, that does not mean it is capable of handling two 16340s. Again it all depends on the driver.

Btw, by "longer total run times and at full output power" what Garoq probably means (aside from marketing;)) is that 18650's can handle a high draw for a longer time. Aside from longer run time you shouldn't notice any difference in your situation, unless of course you also switch up the batteries in terms of quality.

I.E.;

Yes, I know... if I stuck 2x CR123A into my SL-R, it would might turn the diode into a charcoal briquette.