Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SUNY DISDAS RGB400 Projector?

Aiki1

Anyone have any experience with the SUNY DISDAS RGB400 projector?

Thoughts, experiences, anything?

Thanks....!

Yea anything Suny is pretty terrible. I have the Aurora lumia pj.. second day the dmx control failed. I spent many days trying to get a warranty on it. They wanted a vid of it failing. Which is fine.. but there warranty Center wanted a very obscure file type. I ended up giving up. I still use it on auto mode.
Basicly there super cheap pj's and you get what u pay for.

I also have the 3d pj they have. What complete garbage. It doesn't even seem to have real galvos.. I think there fast steppers. Super noisy.. terrible scanning

Last edited:

Aiki1

Yea anything Suny is pretty terrible. I have the Aurora lumia pj.. second day the dmx control failed. I spent many days trying to get a warranty on it. They wanted a vid of it failing. Which is fine.. but there warranty Center wanted a very obscure file type. I ended up giving up. I still use it on auto mode.
Basicly there super cheap pj's and you get what u pay for.

I also have the 3d pj they have. What complete garbage. It doesn't even seem to have real galvos.. I think there fast steppers. Super noisy.. terrible scanning

Good to know, thanks. Another one off the list....

I found another one of these, 71 bucks off Ebay, seems really cheap.. Out of the box it's probably not good, the scanning seems terrible from the product shots:

Mini SUNY DMX 8CH RGY Laser Lights DJ Party Bar Show Projector Stage Lighting

But the DIYer in me is intrigued, could you take one of these super cheap-o laser projectors, and use the guts of them to make a decent DIY projector without spending too much money on upgrades?

diachi

I found another one of these, 71 bucks off Ebay, seems really cheap.. Out of the box it's probably not good, the scanning seems terrible from the product shots:

Mini SUNY DMX 8CH RGY Laser Lights DJ Party Bar Show Projector Stage Lighting

But the DIYer in me is intrigued, could you take one of these super cheap-o laser projectors, and use the guts of them to make a decent DIY projector without spending too much money on upgrades?

Looks like it probably uses stepper motors instead of galvos, you could buy a set of galvos and better mirror mounts and stick them in. That said, by that point you're probably better buying one of the more expensive (but still cheap) off the shelf projectors right off the bat. I wouldn't buy one of these just to upgrade it.

Ok. At which pricepoint do you start seeing actual galvos in the Chinese projectors on Ebay, Aliexpress or similar?

Reason I'm asking is basically to buy one and tinker with it, and use it to learn how to build one of my own, which is a project I'm planning down the line after I'm done making a laser spirograph. Thus I'd like to buy a really cheap one which still has usable guts to tinker with. I'd use it to test homemade controller circuits and DAC's and such.

I have the 3d version of this but rgb.. it's horrid and loud. As mentioned above. The steppers barley make flickery shapes... I then took it apart to try and use the dichros.. must have been 50% percent efficency.. looks cool on my shelf though

Benm

Ok. At which pricepoint do you start seeing actual galvos in the Chinese projectors on Ebay, Aliexpress or similar?

I'm not really sure, but $100 or so seems reasonable. I got a galvo set from spacelas a few years ago for around that price shipped, and it works quite well.

Perhaps there are vendors now that offer things at better prices (or at least shipping costs, i paid about $35 back then for EMS).