Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Strong lasers outside

Has anyone ever gotten into trouble for having a >5Mw pointer out-of-doors? I only heard about a few (not very bright) people who shined their pointers into cockpits.

As long as you don't point lasers at people/vehicles or in front of cops, then you should be fine.

styropyro said:
As long as you don't point lasers at people/vehicles or in front of cops, then you should be fine.
Emphasis on the should. Doesn't mean its legal, doesn't mean you won't get in trouble, doesn't mean what you're doing isn't retarded, but the two biggest no-no's are pointing lasers at aircraft, and pointing lasers at vehicles/police.

Razako

Generally as long as you aren't pointing it at planes/helicopters/cars or using it for harassment you will be fine. You should probably wait until late at night (11PM or later) to minimize the chances of attracting unwanted attention.

Switch

But laser harassment is fun :D A cop stopped me once just as I was about to enter my yard and told me to empty my pockets.I only had my red laser, and he probably couldn't even tell it was highpowered.It was 1am and he probably though I was being drunk or something....which I was. ;D

I was out shining lasers last night with some friends. I was trying to light up a cigarette with a red DX200. But unfortunately, these were the kind you roll up yourself and aren't dry enough for an easy light :(

There were a few law enforcement types around, but since this is the only time of the year when setting off fireworks is legal, I think they had their hands full :)

It was great, there was some people in the park nearby who were effectively blowing each other up with fireworks, awesome to watch :D

You mean the cigarettes or the fireworks?

I can tell you one thing, I wasn't going anywhere NEAR those fireworks guys. They were throwing those things around like there was no tomorrow :eek: I swear I saw one explode right in some guys face.

Razako

The 4th of July is coming up in the US and I'm going to have some fun with my lasers. The air is always filled with huge clouds of smoke and the cops are occupied with other things.

Once I was outdoors at a very foggy night with my x-85, the cops saw the laser beam in the sky. I was not even near shining it towards them, I was just swinging it around in the sky like a lightsaber. But they saw the beam, came to my home and asked what the heck I was doing. I got scared, but when I showed them the beam in the foggy night, they got stunned and even asked "now where did you get that thing?" ;D Nice that not all cops are idiots who just want to mess everyone's life up. But that was here in Sweden where not many know about lasers, if I was in the USA the police would probably send in a SWAT team or do something else overkill. THAT would have scared me half to death. So I am actually pretty happy I don't live in USA because the police are pretty rough there.

But other than that, I have had no trouble while lasing outdoors. If it is in the middle of the night, though, I am careful not to shine it around some drunk guys, they would probably take it from me if I was alone.