Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Straight Laser Pointer

cgm73

First thanks for any help on this topic. I figured somebody on here would be able to answer my questions with the knowledgeable members. I need a small green laser with beam size around 1/2 inch at 100yds. The laser beam needs to be centered with pointer. IE if I put laser pointer in lathe cut it on it does not draw a 2” circle 20 ft away on wall. I have bought about 5 different lasers and non of them are aligned with pointer, all of them shoot laser at angle from lense. Is this not possible with the way lasers are produced. If it is possible where would I look to purchad. Thanks for any help.

cgm73

The lasers for mounting on firearms are adjustable
thanks for the response. Yes they are but they are not accurate are transferable to other rifles Without having to be set. i have purchased all of the top 5 and none of them will line up straight In lathe. So if I can find a straight pointer I will machine a bore Sighter myself. Thanks for the response

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
What do you mean they aren't accurate? You can adjust them to shoot centered which is what you're asking for. Just get the ones that are in a flashlight housing that can be removed from the gun attachment.

cgm73

I am not using Laser to be a pointer on A specific gun. I am using it as a bore sighter to set rifle scopes on multiple rifles. Yes you can adjust laser to shoot on one specific firearm accurately. This is not what I am trying to do. I will Machine an adapter to fit down barrel of different calibers and attach to laser pointer. These boresighters are worthless because when you rotate laser on next rifle the laser is pointing 4” to the left, maybe 4” to the right , maybe up, maybe down. There is no Way to repeat accuracy if laser pointer does not leave barrel straight. look at the attached photo. All I need is a laser pointer that points straight from enclosure then I can do the rest. Thanks

IR850-B1​

completely different location.

Attachments

• BBC99C85-F69F-4713-8FE2-4D0C6B98C5B0.jpeg
    BBC99C85-F69F-4713-8FE2-4D0C6B98C5B0.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 5

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You're starting to get on my nerves Mr cgm73. Those flashlight style gun lasers I've mentioned are universal and detachable from the weaver rail adapter. You got your answer now start googling

Anthony P

The specs you are looking for are "static alignment" and "pointing stability". This is usually only listed on high end lab lasers. You will likely not find perfect accuracy, but you may be able to find a high enough degree of precision. My thought is a mechanical collar of some sort that assures that the laser is always inserted in the same orientation.

cgm73

Anthony P is dead on with his response. That is exactly the direction I’m looking. Unknown Wild is clueless to what I am talking about. I can machine the collars and alignment system myself. Antony P you are correct on the orientation of laser. if It is not perfectly straight the laser would have to be indexed where it would always attach at the same orientation. I will start googling "static alignment" and "pointing stability" and see what I can find. Again thanks Anthony P for the help.

Why not use a bore sight laser that's tapered body fits/centers against the barrels crown and centers in the barrel ?
I use this type and they work very well, also your rail and scope may not be transferable from gun to gun without adjustment.....that is your guns rail and barrel center may be slightly different from gun to gun, so you need to use a bore sight.

Also there's bullet drop compensation for different calibers and different barrel lengths, however even if you are transferring an optic from one rifle to a twin rifle, there are still manufacturing variances, a bore sight yields the best results.

--------- If you are building your own boresight, then you need to make the run-out adjustable to zero your beam to your bore sights body, why the hell would you attempt to rely on the Chinese lasers body ?? You are doing a custom build yet you want to use one part of the laser body as received.......really ??? NOPE, you need to make your custom build adjustable for run-out, just like the factory built bore sights do.

Do you see the little black screws in the bore sights body ? Those are for factory adjustment set with loctite or similar locking compound, so they can true the laser beam to the bore sights body, you see even the factory has to adjust for run-out.

s-l1600.jpg

cgm73

I own 3 boresighters with that same design. The 3 different boresighters I own generates a 10” circle at 25 yds. Even with adjustments. If you rotate it in bore. I can’t get the run out of the ones I own. Pretty much worthless but you can get on paper at the 25yd range. I was looking for something more precise. Even adjusting as much runout as possible they have to be perfectly indexed in bore each time you reuse them In order to be close. I could take a marker I guess to index it. Run out on these also could be attributed to end bore size alignment which are plastic pieces that screw in back of boresighter. I might could machine some bore sizes out of brass to replace plastic ends that come with them to make it better. Thanks for the suggestion and time. I’m also looking at this one which claims zero runout but I can’t find a company rep to confirm and get better specs. It claims 5)You can rotate it without affecting its accuracy But does not fully explain. if that is true I can figure the rest out.

Attachments

• 36E54A0F-1502-4232-97E2-685F6CD651F7.jpeg
    36E54A0F-1502-4232-97E2-685F6CD651F7.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 2

gazer101

I own 3 boresighters with that same design. The 3 different boresighters I own generates a 10” circle at 25 yds. Even with adjustments. If you rotate it in bore. I can’t get the run out of the ones I own. Pretty much worthless but you can get on paper at the 25yd range. I was looking for something more precise. Even adjusting as much runout as possible they have to be perfectly indexed in bore each time you reuse them In order to be close. I could take a marker I guess to index it. Run out on these also could be attributed to end bore size alignment which are plastic pieces that screw in back of boresighter. I might could machine some bore sizes out of brass to replace plastic ends that come with them to make it better. Thanks for the suggestion and time. I’m also looking at this one which claims zero runout but I can’t find a company rep to confirm and get better specs. It claims 5)You can rotate it without affecting its accuracy But does not fully explain. if that is true I can figure the rest out.
You could always 3d print your own separately calibrated bore adapters. If you print slow, an ender 3 can achieve 0.1mm tolerances

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Anthony P is dead on with his response. That is exactly the direction I’m looking. Unknown Wild is clueless to what I am talking about. I can machine the collars and alignment system myself. Antony P you are correct on the orientation of laser. if It is not perfectly straight the laser would have to be indexed where it would always attach at the same orientation. I will start googling "static alignment" and "pointing stability" and see what I can find. Again thanks Anthony P for the help.
Don't be rude when asking for help. This is your first warning

Bore sights are for "getting on the paper " you need to do your final zeroing at the range and a bore sight won't compensate for bullet drop, sight height, spin drift or the rotation of the Earth or deviations in ammo from maker to maker.

The magnetic bore sight relies on the face of your barrel being perpendicular to the bore, rather the perimeter around the crown that it mounts against held by the magnet, it's designed for getting on the paper quickly, you still need to do your final zeroing at the range.

If you're unhappy with the laser bore sights then maybe try an optical bore sight.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of anything like this on the consumer market. I doubt any direct diode laser would be easy to focus into a point at that sort of range. You'd have better luck with DPSS or even better OPSL. But then you'd have to go through the trouble of making it yourself and very carefully aligning the optics with the housing to make it work reliably.