Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Stimlogic...a closer look!

Thought Stimlogic deserved a closer look. The stimlogic thread came out a day or two after I had already ordered my first laser ever. Heres the title description off ebay

350mW Burning Laser Diode 650nm Open Can Type Pioneer. $109

Includes:

-350mw Red, Pioneer Laser Diode, Housed And Measured At 3 1/2in. In Length, & <1/2in. In Diameter. Output Tested With ROHS Certified Equip.

-Regulated Proper Driver circuit, Protects Against Voltage Spikes, Switching Transients, And Reverse Polarity Protection. 4.5v 350ma

-15mm Focus, Go From Burning To Illumination in a second

-High Quality Glass Optics

-Three Point Diode Mount, High Efficiency Heatsinking,Diode Leads

-Simple 5min. Assembly Instructions

-Shrink Tubing, To Finalize Your Connections

sounds ok?? keep reading...

you only get what you pay for, and I believe thats true... for the most part. Here is #8 of 12 emails Joe at stimlogic (joe is Stimlogic) has returned of mine and just when you think the guy is gonna pull his hair out if you bug em one more time, writes this..

Hello again, well the $149. laser is the same as yours. The original idea for price @ 129. was with glass optics but thicker and not AR coated. I’ve changed my mind and now include the AR optics as some testing last night proved to be in heavy favor of the AR. With the reg. glass I can light a match @ 8ft or so at 310mW, swap out the optics with the AR and im lighting matches a 20ft! The units for 149. are identical to yours, and the extra work and better optics take me more time so $$$ goes up. As for the 405nm, I am definitely going to be selling hand helds on eBay @ 5mW, the stronger ones are against eBay "hazardous items" policy but will be available on the website. A lot of interesting host bodies on DX and I think I will have to go with them. I have to buy 30$ green lasers from them, just for the host. But considering what blues are being sold for, I believe it will work out fine, and the prices will be much better than any other. The only problem I fore see, is that many of the members on LPF with think im selling DX cheapies. I do buy a lot of things for parts, but I don’t use their diodes just their boards and host bodies. They have dependable circuits and are such a perfect match for the diodes I use. I spend a great deal of time in testing and abusing my final products before I build more to sell, the goal being the finest quality control out there without the high price. I know im going to get LPF attacked by some members when they see parts from DX on my stuff, but I can honestly say I don’t think anyone will be selling better quality end product. I had a bad injury at work a couple of months back, and have had to find a suitable financial remedy to the situation and finally I get to do something fun which just does not feel like work. I just hope everyone will be happy with what they get, at the price they paid. If you’re friend is looking for more power, the heatsinked unit I posted for 199. is a beast, I put a couple together and after testing, I am very pleased. So for a 50. difference, you get higher output 310mW steady power which ive been cutting plastic zip ties with! It’s a 6vdc unit with a larger board and a cooling fan, it’s a good deal, and will fit in a larger host running on 4 x AA's. It can be run for 15-20 mins without the fan, the fans just in case you want it on longer than that. I have the tracking number and will post it below; I just got it this evening from the courier and will list it below. I also added a couple of extras with your laser, which I forgot to mention. There is extra heat shrink tube, and some larger pieces in case you oversize something by mistake. There are also heat conductive square pads you can place around the brass for extra cooling. Also some ceramic caps for future experimenting, if you ever make a laser with the diode more than an inch away from the driver, you have to place one of these across the + / -, even though there is one already on the board. Plus they can be hard to find... Any hooo, I have to get back to the bench and im sure you’re eyes are tired from all this extra reading, so here’s your number and the link to enter it at.
Regards,
Joseph.
Am I boring you yet? I thought not. if youve read this far you HAVE TO READ THIS ONE!!
Heres the day before with email # 6 (from his ebay name pryrtronic)
Thats the problem with that kind of module, everything fits but brass and aluminum conduct at different rates. The aluminum is a recent addition to the market because they are cheaply made. Brass conducts the heat off the diode at a higher rate and allows the diode to breathe under higher stresses. Its just harder to find decent brass modules I guess, but traditionaly brass is prefered, that is if you want it to last. I also completely surround all contact points with a conductive compound so the heat dissipation is on a microscopic scale. That is how you push the diode further you give it the basic things that make it happy. I have found many tricks with these which give better output than any dvd burner I have seen and mine wont suffer from premature failures from heat problems. As for the AR lens, I find it to be a better over all performer, and it doesnt feed energy back to the diode, which also reduces the life. Im experimenting with a new setup with the same unit your getting with a bigger heatsink, it cuts tape at 17ft and I havent tried a ballon yet but its probably gonna break my personal best.
~pyrotronic

and finally

Now all i have to do is solder the leads an shrinktube it and put it in a host. iam just learning, and putting countless hours into reading, just ask my wife :mad:
Not exactly what most members would call a diy, but there will be time for that later, when ive learned more. For now i just really want a working laser and this for me IS a DIY ....for begginers :cool:

I posted the link to this item which is not avilable to see at the time because someone has already snagged the prototype! :cool: but i know hes already making more.
I can make vids and pics, maybe pics of the packaging, he says he over packs everything.

the purpose of this thread really is to show, what sounds like a ship in the sea of uncertainty. from reading tons of lpf threads it seams like some laser company's product is junk, some are hit or miss, and some are awesome, but man do you end up payin either way. Sooooo, thought Id send along what seems to be some good news.

P.S. if your an aixiZ fan then dont read this,

In the one i made in that pic had the diode in a dvd burner stock heatsink and the optics hovered above it. As for axis ive never bought one, they just look cheap. The heatsink i use is solid brass and would destroy an aluminum housing for diode life. The way that I approach new projects is to deal with the design with everything sitting in front of me, it just seems to make more sense that way. This module is 40mm in length and 12mm dia. It will fit in a standard laser pointer and can be shortened by half when the rear of the two piece heatsink is removed. The driver is also small and with the protection of the heatshrink tubing the wire can be twisted and manipulated into position. Which ever host you choose will most likely work, it just depends on your persistance and patience. I cant suggest one yet as I tend to use these modules on their own or hyped up in a nice heatsink. Laserpointerforums is probably your best bet for good advice, they have reviewd many different host bodies.

- pyrotronic

Ok fire away, am i being naive, does some of this sound like BS?
Lifers please chime in here.
Al

drlava

drlava said:
[quote author=aces4al link=1203101626/0#0 date=1203101626] The heatsink i use is solid brass and would destroy an aluminum housing for diode life.

On what basis did he form this opinion?  the thermal conductivity of aluminum is higher than that of brass:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-metals-d_858.html

Also, aluminum is an efficient radiator of heat.  Unfortunately, the aixiz housings are not in fact made of AL.

Sounds a bit like BS to me.[/quote]

ya alum is the best i thought too. so i asked him and heres some of his reasons:

#1 brass is expensive and way more heavy and durable. Aluminum half the thickness and is either (cheaply) poured or pressed, brass is more expensive and is milled on a lathe.
#2 proof is in the pudding, he frequently does side by side comparisons of products to find the performers.( and he just sold out all his greenies) says hes behind and swamped as well as sending refunds for orders he cant keep up with in time.( thank god mines already on the way!!)
#3 oh screw it heres a direct quote he tells me,"Hey, just read the replies to that post from dr lava, He thinks for some reason that axis modules are made from pure aluminum?
anything made in china are sold cheaply for a reason. From my experiance with brass, the more dense the housing the better. Why would large companies all the way back from the 90's use the more expensive brass? Dr. Lava is also a seller, you have to watch what you post on LPF, thats why I stay low key on LPF it just takes too much energy when members sense compitition. But all thats ok, the proof is in the pudding!
#4 another direct quote" there is also the fact that brass is used for car and home raiators, the top of engines (the head) is aluminum for cost purposes you wont find aluminum in expensive items, unless weight is an issue, brass being heavyer.
#5 and this is my 2cents worth, alum may transfer quicker, but metals have other properties than heat disapation and aluminum expands and contract a hell of alot more than brass, and frankly, i want stability in my heat sink, all that shifting, expading, contacting....I dont know? scary.

i dont want to compete here, i really just wanna learn, i thought i was doing a good thing. And shame on you drlava for not mentioning you were sellin stuff on lpf ;)
Al
maybe that should be another topic to explore brass vs aluminum, i am here to learn, i am still skeptical tho alum is alot quicker according to dr lavas chart
peace.

Hey I wonder if that contracting and expanding is a negligible effect or if it could be the cause of other problems that occur in lasers, couldnt a diode pressed between two pieces of aluminum, suffer some kind of undu stress or pressure? 2 pieces of alum expanding at the same time? again, is that pressure negligable? or measurable in a manner to see the adverse effects of it, if any?
just curious. im trying to figure out myself why hes usin and since i bought one, i guess im reaching for answers. would respect your feedback on this lava. sorry if i sound a little defensive ;)
Al

aces4al said:
Hey I wonder if that contracting and expanding is a negligible effect or if it could be the cause of other problems that occur in lasers, couldnt a diode pressed between two pieces of aluminum, suffer some kind of undu stress or pressure? 2 pieces of alum expanding at the same time? again, is that pressure negligable? or measurable in a manner to see the adverse effects of it, if any?
just curious. im trying to figure out myself why hes usin and since i bought one, i guess im reaching for answers. would respect your feedback on this lava. sorry if i sound a little defensive ;)
Al

curious why hes using brass that is
Al

drlava

aces4al said:
ya alum is the best i thought too. so i asked him and heres some of his reasons:

#1 brass is expensive and way more heavy and durable. Aluminum half the thickness and is either (cheaply) poured or pressed, brass is more expensive and is milled on a lathe.
brass is expensive, heavy: non-reasons for this application.
more durable: again, the diode mounts do not see wear. a non-reason.
aluminum half the thickess: this is not a materials measurement, depends on the mount.
brass is more expensive and milled on a lathe: Al is milled often, too, it also can be extruded, pressed, forged, etc. just like brass, which can be milled, pressed, forged, etc. another logical non-starter.

#2 proof is in the pudding, he frequently does side by side comparisons of products to find the performers.( and he just sold out all his greenies) says hes behind and swamped as well as sending refunds for orders he cant keep up with in time.( thank god mines already on the way!!)
I and tr rest of LPF would like to see the results of these comparisons, by all means! 'he says as for aixiz, I've never bought one' so he can't have compared with these.
#3 oh screw it heres a direct quote he tells me,"Hey, just read the replies to that post from dr lava, He thinks for some reason that axis modules are made from pure aluminum?
I said that the aixiz modules are NOT made from aluminum. See my post above. reading comprehension?!

anything made in china are sold cheaply for a reason. From my experiance with brass, the more dense the housing the better. Why would large companies all the way back from the 90's use the more expensive brass? Dr. Lava is also a seller, you have to watch what you post on LPF, thats why I stay low key on LPF it just takes too much energy when members sense compitition. But all thats ok, the proof is in the pudding!
#4 another direct quote" there is also the fact that brass is used for car and home raiators, the top of engines (the head) is aluminum for cost purposes you wont find aluminum in expensive items, unless weight is an issue, brass being heavyer.
I am in fact not a seller on LPF. Have a look at my selling history. I have used aixiz glass mudules because they happen to be an excellent value. I am mostly a tester and fact verifier, and build a few custom lasers. Definitely not a competitor to this guy. You can't generalise about use in car engines and other parts to justify a material's benefit in a totally other aspect. Car engines and a laser diode mount have about nothing in common.

#5 and this is my 2cents worth, alum may transfer quicker, but metals have other properties than heat disapation and aluminum expands and contract a hell of alot more than brass, and frankly, i want stability in my heat sink, all that shifting, expading, contacting....I dont know? scary.

This is perhaps the best statement. However the differences in expansion in the mount of a laser diode between brass and aluminum amount to 0.0002 millimeters (0.2 microns) at a 10 degree C operating tmeperature swing. The amount the diode casing is deformed when it is pressed into a housing is at least 100 microns. I haven't done the ductility calculations, but this expansion is very likely to be negligible, especially considering the diode housing itself is expanding in the mount at the same time.
reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_thermal_expansion

i dont want to compete here, i really just wanna learn, i thought i was doing a good thing. And shame on you drlava for not mentioning you were sellin stuff on lpf ;)
Al
maybe that should be another topic to explore brass vs aluminum, i am here to learn, i am still skeptical tho alum is alot quicker according to dr lavas chart
peace.

I didn't mention anything about selling because there is nothing to disclose. There is a sale for 4 post-test bin diodes, that's it. The 200mW green group buy is not even tangentially related to this discussion, and a group buy is not a 'sale', I don't compete with this guy, but I do question some of this salesman 'expertise'.

Finally, to top it all off, the aixiz modules are in fact made of nickel or chrome plated brass (according to reports here and on CPF.

What kind of diode failure warranty does he give for the 350mW open can lasers?

Wow you really know your stuff! i hope to learn as much as possible in here and i can see this is going to be an awesome place to learn. if i get results on par with his claims I will be more than pleased, a great value and i nice starting place for me in this hobby. I have a very scientific and open mind so (and an open can on the way! :)) so i will be eager to share my findings. ill be sure to check those threads for myself, as i was not defending so much as just passing along your question on what he bases his opinion. Those were his responses anyway. the positive is that we all learn from each other this way. I also thank you for the time you put into writing informed responses for one of this forums newest of nubiles.
Al :cool:

Gazoo

I agree with DrLava on all of his points. I also asked the seller in another thread here for a data sheet for the open can, and he conveniently side stepped my post. I haven't seen any 22X Pioneer DVD burners, and even if they were available how do we know the open can used in them is any different from the open can used in the 20X Sony drive, or even the Pioneer 18X drive. Furthermore he claims "Some of the finest diodes on the market today are produced by Pioneer." We all know that's hogwash.

Take note: I ran an open can pioneer diode from an 18X burner at 600ma's to get 350mw's out. The diode lasted less than an hour...lol. But what is even more interesting is my testing of the diodes between the Pioneer 18X burner and the Pioneer 20X burner produced exactly the same results.

Everyone has to make up their own mind whether or not this seller is offering a good deal. What I don't like is some parts of his descriptions are misleading. Show me a data sheet for an open can diode made by pioneer for a 22X DVD burner and I may retract my statement depending on what the diode is really rated for at cw.

oh drlava, just to clarify a couple things that were possibly lost in translation from the resident newbile, it wouldnt be fair to joe not to mention;
#1 he didnt specify aixiZ, but aluminum vs brass in his experience, and
#2 there shipped from china and cheap for a reason.
drlava, please comment on this if you have an opinion and ill call it case closed till i get the pudding! ;)
Al

oh ya, and can u send me a link to the threads he speaks of, i cant find them, but im iterested to read what you had to say!
thanx, Al

Gazoo

aces4al said:
oh ya, and can u send me a link to the threads he speaks of, i cant find them, but im iterested to read what you had to say!
thanx, Al

From now on can you please modify your posts if you think of something you need to add, instead of making new posts within a few minutes of each other? Thank you.

drlava

aces4al said:
oh drlava, just to clarify a couple things that were possibly lost in translation from the resident newbile, it wouldnt be fair to joe not to mention;
#1 he didnt specify aixiZ, but aluminum vs brass in his experience, and
#2 there shipped from china and cheap for a reason.
drlava, please comment on this if you have an opinion and ill call it case closed till i get the pudding! ;)
Al

#1 I know, most of what I said was general in relation to the comparison.
#2 thy are cheap for a reason, actually 2:
a) the workers who machine them have very low living expenses and are paid little compared to union US workers
b) the quality control may be a lot lower, in which case you'll have to perform your own quality control on the parts you receive (i.e. throw out or return the misformed parts). Even after this, it's usually a good deal.

What warranty does he offer on the 350mW built laser? If it's good, you're good if not, beware. A completed laser sale is only as good as 1) the warranty offered or 2) the specification sheet supplied that truly matches the diode.

Cool!
Well...he puts em together himself hes claiming 250mW CW, as built, 350mW is peak which he believes is possible plus, with proper cooling :)
as far as the warrantee or spec sheets,for that specific diode, i just shot him an email, well see. i read it on ebay but forget what it covered.
I know he runs them first, tests effectiveness of burning at diff distances and checks efficiency of the heat sink by checking heat build up if any from continuous use.
ill get right back to ya on that.
Thanx doc.
Al

Gazoo said:
[quote author=aces4al link=1203101626/0#9 date=1203116237]oh ya, and can u send me a link to the threads he speaks of, i cant find them, but im iterested to read what you had to say!
thanx, Al

From now on can you please modify your posts if you think of something you need to add, instead of making new posts within a few minutes of each other? Thank you.
[/quote]
no prob gazoo, read alot of your stuff too, respect bro.
i dont know who started the first stimlogic thread, it wasnt me, but i see your point. but in my defense, im real new here and i remember trying to decide wether or not to list this as a new topic. a quick glance of the company's section i immediatly noticed several WL threads on one page so i figured that was the way to do it, and to let other members get to know me.
request noted, keep me in line, lookin forward to learnin from all you guys!
feel guilty gettin all this information from you guys, i really appreciate your time!
My son will especially appreciate when we get to play withit! :cool:
regaurds
Al