Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

STEAM (STEM+Art/Design)

ev23

Hi Everyone, I wasn't able to find any threads related to STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) so I though I'd start one :) (if there already is a thread or if there is a better place to post this, please feel free to move this post or refer me to an existing thread) For those that don't know, STEAM is STEM+Art/Design and is a growing movement with a lot of schools starting programs to promote interdisciplinary conversation between the arts and sciences which is leading to a lot of innovation in both fields! I'm sure many of you have already fallen into this category most of your lives as lasers encompass all of the STEM disciplines already and many of you are already doing creative and exciting things with lasers.
My background is in art, and my medium is glass (and light!) and my work usually comes from a synthesis of physics, chemistry, engineering and design. Most of what I do as an artist involves manipulating perception through glass and light, so I've had some of the best conversations about my work with physicists, neurologists, cognitive scientists, chemists etc. etc. and I'm hoping to continue that here and hopefully learn more about what all of you are working on! Are there any other artists in the forum? Anyone with science or math related backgrounds that have collaborated with artists before? I'm currently in Rhode Island and teach glassblowing at RISD, is anyone here from Brown or MIT (or any other school in the Providence or Boston area)?

Looking forward to hearing from all of you

Evan

Encap

:
Hi Everyone, I wasn't able to find any threads related to STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) so I though

Most of what I do as an artist involves manipulating perception through glass and light...

"Most of what I do as an artist involves manipulating perception" ? Yours or theirs? :crackup:
You have to be kidding -- either way now you know why there is nothing of what you mention on LPF.

I know you are new but can you guess why you found nothing of which you wrote about on LPF?
No reason or place for it here--does not belong here and not in Lasers & Science----your post is not anything that is posted on LPF except in a Welcome post perhaps except as an aside.

You should have put this stuff in your Welcome thread or in the "Other" subforum.

This thread should be in the "Other" sub-forum not Science & Lasers--there isn't one word of or about Science in the post nor directly about lasers other than some global all encompassing mention that means about as much as saying lasers exist as an aside---yeah, we know so what?
There is no Laser & Art & School/Playtime Experience " subforum for real reasons.

LPF is Laser Pointer Forum--LPF is not concerned with or about art or the art world in general nor the "student at school experience" and so on.

LPF in about lasers -- things in and from the real world about lasers and is not Facebook or any other "social media" meaningless personal BS chats or any thing else other than lasers.

If you have a question about lasers or something species specific to contribute to LPF about lasers --post it in the appropriate sub-forum.

If you want to post something about or a photo of/about your your glassblowing--or about STEAM or anything not directly and mainly/primarily about lasers post it in "Other" sub-forum

Last edited:

ev23

I know you are new but can you guessd why?
No reason or place for it here--does not belong here and not in Lasers & Science----your post is not anything that is posted on LPF except in a Welcome post perhaps.

You should have put this stuff in your Welcome thread or in the "Other" subforum.

This thread should be in the "Other" sub-forum not Science & Lasers--there isn't one word of or about Science in the post nor directly about lasers other than some global all encompassing mention that means about as much as saying lasers exist as an aside---yeah, we know so what?
There is no Laser & Art & School/Playtime Experience " subforum for real reasons.

LPF is Laser Pointer Forum--LPF is not concerned with or about art or the art world in general nor the "student at school experience" and so on.

LPF in about lasers -- things in and from the real world about lasers and is not Facebook or any other "social media" meaningless personal BS chats or any thing else other than lasers.

If you have a question about lasers or something species specific to contribute to LPF about lasers --post it in the appropriate sub-forum.

If you want to post something about or a photo of/about your your glassblowing--or about STEAM or anything not directly and mainly/primarily about lasers post it in "Other" sub-forum

I get that I posted it in the wrong sub-forum, but theres really no need to be so negative and closed minded. I'm not looking for a 'Laser & Art & School/Playtime Experience' and frankly I'm offended that you would reduce my attempt to start a real conversation about the possible innovation that could arise from discussions between the arts and sciences to that. There are absolutely situations on the more technical end of things that could benefit from creative thinking and solutions that someone with, say, an industrial design background that has extensive knowledge and access to digital fabrication tools or an expertise in a specific medium - such as doped glasses and access to equipment to make them - could offer and vice versa. Sorry I am still familiarizing myself with the layout of this forum and haven't looked at every sub-forum yet, next time I have something similar to post I'll put it in the 'other ' sub-forum. I was hoping by putting it in lasers and science it would be seen by people in the scientific community that may have an interest in engaging in this type of conversation. This has real world applications which is why its a growing movement globally and branching out from institutions only a few years after it was started. I understand your frustration with a newcomer posting in the wrong place, with the wrong content etc. but theres no need to diminish my attempt at learning and sharing my knowledge with others by disrespecting me. I didn't come here for confrontation I came for the exchange of knowledge, sincerest apologies if I offended you or wasted your time by having posted in the wrong place but can't we just move the discussion to the appropriate sub forum instead of picking a fight?

Encap may have been less tactful, but he is right. In the categories of science, technology, engineering, and art, it is art that does not belong among this acronym you have come up with. Science can easily be categorized by engineering and physics and sometimes some science is used in making art, but they are not close to the same things and you will find little interest in trying to make them so here.

ev23

Encap may have been less tactful, but he is right. In the categories of science, technology, engineering, and art, it is art that does not belong among this acronym you have come up with. Science can easily be categorized by engineering and physics and sometimes some science is used in making art, but they are not close to the same things and you will find little interest in trying to make them so here.

I didn't come up with the acronym, it already exists and I'm not trying to make them the same thing, just talk with people from different backgrounds and disciplines and see what we can offer each other. I would never claim that my artwork is science or that science is art but my work is definitely informed by science and there are countless examples throughout history where art has informed science. If this thread isn't for you, you don't have to participate but I'm surprised that the initial response to this thread is so negative, all I'm attempting to do is have a conversation with people that can offer a different perspective I am able to on a topic I'm assuming everyone here has in common.. lasers..

@ev23...
you really should use Paragraphs...
No one wants to read Blocka of Text.
I didn't....:undecided:

Remember that this is a Laser related
forum...
Even if you play with a safe Laser with
your cat... There is no Thread category
for "Cat's and Lasers" nor should there
be.

FYI... Wrong Category... "Other" would
be more appropriate...IMO.. :beer:

Jerry

Last edited:
ev23, Frankly you'll probably find more laser related art over on Photonlexicon than here.

Aside from normal shows the only artsy stuff I can think off right now would be Lumia, Brucemir's laser beam photography and Swami's laser petroglyph art.
I can't remember who did this at last SELEM but someone made a GITD screen and a 405nm projector to write on the screen. Brilliant idea, it really made some amazing effects.
Although almost anything can be art depending on who you ask.

Last edited:

ev23

ev23, Frankly you'll probably find more laser related art over on Photonlexicon than here.

Aside from normal shows the only artsy stuff I can think off right now would be Lumia, Brucemir's laser beam photography and Swami's laser petroglyph art.
I can't remember who did this at last SELEM but someone made a GITD screen and a 405nm projector to write on the screen. Brilliant idea, it really made some amazing effects.
Although almost anything can be art depending on who you ask.

Thanks, Ill have to check them out! and I'll look into photonlexicon as well.
I"ve actually been experimenting with GITD materials and 405nm laser for years! About 10 years ago I painted my bike GITD and made a GITD suit for halloween that year too so that people could write on it and draw patterns with a laser pen. Made a screen shortly after for some potentially interactive projects but haven't done much with it since, guess I should have acted on it sooner!

badscr

Are there any other artists in the forum? Anyone with science or math related backgrounds that have collaborated with artists before?

Yes, I am an electronics engineer.
I Have/do work for a few Artists. There are several pieces on display at a few different art galleries in DC. I take there ideas and make them real for them, Design and build the electronics and some of the mechanical parts of it too.

Here are two that I could find online, I dont take photos of my work. I would like to find photos of a few of the coolest ones for you (but...). There is one that is laser based and does crowd scanning.
Photos do not do any of them justice, video is a little bit better.
Stiglitz-breaking_point.jpg

Stiglitz-state_capture.jpg

Last edited:
I love looking at a race car and for me it is art, form that follows function, everything purpose built to one end and refined to the goal again and again, it's like physical music.