Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

static discharge protection??

i dont really see the point i mean ive had my laptop for years and never even thought of static i guess if your really protective about it it may be usefull but its a lot cheaper to ground youself with a wire

Krutz

ive seen toys like that already, and cant see any use.. its nothing than a fancy resistor. you still direct the static charge into whatever object you touch, just through a resistor, for less shock. use your key, would have the similar effect that you wont be shocked, although not because of resistance, but because of lower resistance contact between the key and you.

btw, i never killed anything by static discharge (that i know of). for my violet laser i put on a ring with a wire to the heater, and worked on a sheet of aluminunfoil, connected as well.

manuel

Nothing beats a good grounded wrist or ankle strap. And a non conductive mat. Granted I don't have all that at home, just at work. Though if I were to setup a workshop area thats what I'd do.

A neon bulb cost $1. No smiley face through.

Don'
Never forget to discharge youself while fueling!!!!!!!!

Touch car with your otherhand before inserting nozzle into tank!!

I make alot of static when deboarding my jetmoble ;D

Kenom

it's not a stupid idea. it's just not very practical. I mean yes that particular device is kind of dumb. short you out when you could do the same thing by touching a grounded item. What I'm askin is, is there a device you could build to suck all teh static charge you've built up into it? Like a capacitor that sucks up the extra jolt and dissapates it to a resistor. Then you could walk around with no charge at all. I

Krutz

Kenom said:
...Then you could walk around with no charge at all. I

instead of "safely" getting rid of the charge.. how about not chargeing at all?
there are aluminum-foil-strips you put in your shoe, with one end hanging out and touching the floor. should work no matter if the floor is causing the static (non-conductive) or being the ground (conductive).
for a better, permanent and invisible setup: put a nail or pin through your sole, so it touches the ground (flat with the sole!). bend the inward end, so you dont pinch it inside your foot. perhaps put your inner fabric sole (that removable part) on top of it, and wrap some aluminum foil around the inner sole, so you now have a connection from your foot to the foil, foil to nail, nail to floor. you shouldnt feel it if you do it right, but should still work..

but then, you couldnt charge yourself up and shock innocent unprepared people, by touching their ears! *evilgrin*

manuel