Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Start-Up - Need Feedback

Ok, I am launching a startup Company which amongst other things, will be providing both (a) Bare Modules and (b) Laboratory Quality, Narrow Linewidth, 'Drever-Pound-Hall' Stablised (ie. Temperature, Frequency, etc. modulated) Laser Modules for Diode Lasers.

I'm aiming to try and bring them in at under $100 a piece, using first-class optics, transmission gratings & electronics.

I am also hard at work on the main purpose of the Company, to produce both UV-NIR and Raman Spectrometers, but I am also investigating the design and construction of Laser Meters (Power/Wavelength) using a Direct-Digital Response Photodiode and a monochromator, what I am envisaging is that people could test their own, collimated lasers in the unit, or if they only have diodes, plug them into the collimating optic tube, connect the 3-pin electrical connection and get a real idea of what your laser is outputting, what spectral range it has and more importantly (especially with DPSS Lasers) where the power is coming from, the pump, the laser crystal or the frequency doubling crystal. Anyone interested in this unit, please feel free to contact me.

I haven't got my website up and running yet, I've had too much to do tracking down suppliers and trying to keep costs as low as possible. Anyone who is interested in Scientific & Analytical Instrumentation based upon the same can also contact me. I've got a yen to try out the latest ideas in Tunable Lasers from Diodes (11-20nm ranges I've read about), using the gratings (reflective - Littrow/Littman-Metcalfe type setups but with PDH Modulation).

I'm hoping to keep prices as low as possible, the need for a GUI for the Monochromator on the Laser Meter may slow me down a little, but I believe it is a gadget that anyone serious about lasers should have, power measurement only tells you so much, power v wavelength, that is the full story. The need to include a full collimating set-up in the design (probably in the box, with a special adapter) as well as a very heavily grooved reflective grating will probably put this in the several hundred dollar range (the electronics themselves aren't precisely simple, neither are the optics).

Anyone who is interested in having a Laboratory Quality Laser, with <0.1nm Linewidth (albeit with a 2mm diameter collimated beam), and integral power source (no more multiple boxes with cords everywhere), please let me know. I have to conduct Market Research and this is the easiest way I can see to do so. Anyone interested in the science involved, please ask, I have the articles, the whitepapers and the discussion papers that detail the benefits of PDH Modulation coupled with transmission/reflective gratings. In terms of tunable lasers, they aren't a myth, they can be made, but the distance (and thus the angle) of the diode from the inclined reflective grating is where the tuning range comes from. I have also gotten in contact with the suppliers of various DPSS-type crystal sets, the ones I'm looking at are rated for >1W of 808nm pumping and output 1/10th the Pump Power as useable output (so 1W 808nm = 100mW of 532nm). The crystals will cost extra, and the number of variations involved will raise or lower prices accordingly. The optics will be sourced from reputable International Suppliers and will not be the over-simplified crap that is masquerading as laser optics at the present time.

Last edited:

How long till we can buy tuneable diode lasers?

Ive never heard of the PDH technique and found this pretty interesting:
Pound

It kind of reminds me of a phase locked loop