Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

stainless steel heatsink ?

onion

Kirby,
Also remember that the diode will heat up fast and so to keep a good duty cycle you want a sink to cool fast. Pick the material that absorbs and dissipates heat the fastest.

Copper isgreat since it has around twice the conductivity of aluminium, but is three times as heavy as aluminium.

Remember that damage is also cumulative. IOW a little here and there may not make it fail but will shorten the life.
Plan and simple; devices that run cooler last longer.

Should you want to read up on more heatsink information than you will ever need...
http://www.qats.com/cpanel/UploadedPdf/Qpedia_0909_web.pdf

Onion

If money is not a huge issue and you want the very best try Ag (silver). Highest thermal conductivity of all metals but not usually practical in comparison to Al or Cu.

I've been wondering about this, since I don't mind collecting junk silver, would silver make a good heat sink? I was wondering if you could have it pre-machined or at least cut into a cylindrical bar, and who could you trust? Even though I've got the $$ for it, I don't know where to buy it :yabbem:

if I knew someone with a smelter maybe they could melt down some bullion coins, which seem a heck of a lot easier to get.

Silver is an excellent heat conductor - better than aluminum or copper, but its better to sell the silver and buy some aluminum.

Helios

Silver is the best but in reality a 1" long 3/4" diameter slug of aluminum rod is plenty of heatsink for any build using any common diode such as 445nm. If you want to leave your laser on for 10 minutes that a little different story but how often in that the case? You will see a lot of builds that use massive heatsinks and they look really cool but are way overkill. If you are just turning it on the check out the beam or take a few pictures it really doesnt take more than a regular sized flashlight host.

Uiuiui, You are right Helios. I just realised that is a isolator. It does no heatsink at all. Sorry about

I've heard Aerogel is also thermal resistant up to stupidly high temperatures. I'm really not sure but if I could get my hands on the stuff, I'd probably sew it into a ski jacket or something. That's a bit far fetched in this decade though - like using graphene or synthetic diamonds.

But silver isn't out of my price range, I mean the heat sink has to weigh what? 1-2 ounces? That's only 40-80 bucks. That's nothing on the price of some of the uber greens I see in LPF, especially stuff like laserglow starting at $889..
As for 10 minutes? I could see myself using a laser for ten solid minutes. I've been practicing calligraphy :yh:

Helios

I've heard Aerogel is also thermal resistant up to stupidly high temperatures. I'm really not sure but if I could get my hands on the stuff, I'd probably sew it into a ski jacket or something. That's a bit far fetched in this decade though - like using graphene or synthetic diamonds.

But silver isn't out of my price range, I mean the heat sink has to weigh what? 1-2 ounces? That's only 40-80 bucks. That's nothing on the price of some of the uber greens I see in LPF, especially stuff like laserglow starting at $889..
As for 10 minutes? I could see myself using a laser for ten solid minutes. I've been practicing calligraphy :yh:

Aerogel is crazy expensive so unless you got 1K to drop on a ski jacket I dont think you will want to use this stuff haha. There was another member here who used to make some all silver hosts. They are pretty neat.

For you viewing pleasure
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/sold-another-sterling-silver-10440-host-60251.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/stridast-silver-10440-host-52850.html

Last edited: