Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SSY-1 Laserhead

Matze

Can someone help me to get this thing shipped to Europe?
I heard some people made bad experiences using Merediths...
Has anyone experiences with this it?

Got an idea:
Would someone just send me the Q-Switch and the two mirrors of it?
And maybe the rod...

Last edited:

These are illegal to ship out of the USA. They are decommissioned military equipment. Shipping them constitutes mail fraud and is a serious federal crime.

Matze

Is there any other way of getting them in Europe?
How about something like a export license?

vk2fro

Are there other small Nd:YAG lasers like the SSY1 that could be procured by an australian who wants to keep up with the swede with his SSY1?

Damn jealous Experimento - thats a nice little toy. Get some bloody goggles tho - that thing will roast your eyeballs if your not careful (yes telling you off here too as well as on irc!) :)

Matze

I've decided to apply for a licence.
Does anyone knows how long it will take or if it even works?

Last edited:
Don't get too stuck on getting a ssy1, they are small, the flash lamp can't handle too many Joules, etc...
You might want to wait for one of the nice water cooled heads that show up once in a while on eBay (like the one from my last video), or you could just get one of the huge ND:GLASS rods that sold dirt cheap in the last cope of weeks.

There are DIY alternatives to an SSY-1. YAG rods, flashtubes, HR and OC mirrors for 1064nm, these show up regularly on ebay. SAM's Laser Faq has good info on YAG lasers. The SSY-1 does have a Q-switch, sometimes these show up as a separate item on ebay. You don't need a Q-switch to make a YAG laser, it can be added later.
As these lasers use a high voltage capacitor bank, be careful! HV caps are dangerous.

Matze: SSYs are considered weapon components and are their export is very tightly regulated. Since you are not exporting these for an "official use", they probably won't grant you an export license.

Matze

I like the SSY1 because it's cheap... I already thought about building one, but it's fairly hard to get one nice YAG:rod... about the capacitors, I already have a nice charger and bank from an older project... I just want to achieve an air breakdown...
will try to get the photonlexicon one... Big THX to Daedronus for the link

Edit... he already sold it -.-

Last edited:
If you want air break-down and if you get a ssy1 make sure it has the q-switch in place.

The ssy1 is cheap but so can be other better laser heads.
Look what I just got for 133$:
High Power Water Cooled Laser ND:YAG Rod 532 nm - eBay (item 350309705067 end time Jan-29-10 04:58:43 PST)

No, I did not win it, but he offered a second chance for 133$...hope the nd:yag is in one piece, hehe, *cross fingers*

This won't do air break down because it doesn't have a q-switch, but you can add a cr:yag passive q-switch later.

Keep your eyes open and have patience. laser heads like this show up regularly.
Also if you get one make sure you get a complete head, that includes the flash lamp, getting a flash lamp of the right size might be difficult.