Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spontaneous Beam Diversion?

I'm not very versed in the diode lasers but know enough to get thru my day however....

i have an eBay "200mW" pointer, DPSS Green and when i 1st got it, it seemed fairly stable however after a couple of months use (on and off, bursts not more than 45-60s) it started to behave oddly... after running for 5-10 sec (on new batts) the beam suddenly splits into 2 beams. one sharp, one slightly off & about 0.5 deg from the main beam.
i KNOW this laser has no IR filter.
it has never been dropped or shocked.
what would cause this? thermal damage of some type?
is there a fix?
TIA
-Fritz

Encap

Mode hopping? Switching from TEM 00 to a different mode?

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_mode

Any of the output look like any of the below configurations?

800px-Laguerre-gaussian.png

Last edited:
no... close to 01 but not centered/divided like that... more like main beam weakens and a 2nd, weaker beam shoots off at a degree or 2 off the main axis.

The glue that holds the crystal in place can get hot and the crystal can shift causing mode hop, it's easy to see on a wall with the output lens removed.

Typically not worth fixing, try a direct 520 such as an Osram PL-520

Last edited:
yep, seems to be the KTP.
took it apart and when i applied a chipchiller to the KTP mount the beam realigned. Wasn't an expensive laser so not going to stress about it. Maybe someday i'll find a use for the IR diode.

Tnx guys. :)