Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Spectrometer Wanted

Dusty_Lenses

Wondering what type of spectrometer gear you folks are using, and what are some low cost options for a reasonably accurate setup?

I've always wanted to get one, but the price was cost prohibitive.

Any suggestions on the latest diy's or inexpensive production models with a USB interface would be greatly appreciated.

I don't unfortunately, I built it for myself

Here is the github for the project I used:

It uses exactly the same parts, same specs everything. My unit uses 2x 18650s to run in an enclosure
fb161d63-913d-4caf-93a3-34b8d7bf18ea.jpg

Wondering what type of spectrometer gear you folks are using, and what are some low cost options for a reasonably accurate setup?

I've always wanted to get one, but the price was cost prohibitive.

Any suggestions on the latest diy's or inexpensive production models with a USB interface would be greatly appreciated.
I've been looking into spectrometers for a while.
Here's a link to a Google Search..
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spectrometer+diy

I found this one to be quite interesting and seems to cost less
than $50 USD.

Jerry

It uses exactly the same parts, same specs everything. My unit uses 2x 18650s to run in an enclosure
View attachment 78079
I encountered this very project a few months back. I ended up trying a similar with webcam, diffraction grating, and that same software and still have it on my laptop.

I'll put your offer on my list as I nose through a few more options 🍺

I've been looking into spectrometers for a while.
Here's a link to a Google Search..
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spectrometer+diy

I found this one to be quite interesting and seems to cost less
than $50 USD.

Jerry
I tried the project which the unit in the video is based on. If you make it yourself, it's a 10$ project at most and not to bad.

The issue I found with it was the accuracy. I'm looking for a means to sort diodes of the same wavelength, and pick my preferred color to add to my pen collection.

He does a tear down at the end of the video, maybe I'll try that one again and use the came webcam that's included in that kit. Perhaps I missed something the first time out.

Funny, he thought the 405nm laser he was testing was a DPSS due to a spike in the 800nm range 😆

View attachment 78079
How accurate is that spectrometer when it comes to say a tenth of a nm?

I bought a 10 lot of the sharp 480nm diodes and need the ability to bin them by wavelength.

Is this suitable for such measurements?

Yup, 0.1nm resolution, its impressively accurat

Yup, 0.1nm resolution, its impressively accurate
So far it's on the top of my list. Everything I've looked at like ocean optics etc start at 1,000. which is way out of my budget range.

One other thing I forgot to ask, is there a data logging option via USB? I'm not too fond of stand alone only.

Yes, you'll need to attach a keyboard

Pressing 's' will save all data. It saves graph and waterfall data as PNG images, with date and time as part of the filename. Additionally it saves graph data as CSV that can then be opened in other programs such as OpenOffice on the Pi.

I use an Ocean Optics spectrometer. Most people who have tried many go for their spectrometers.

Back