Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan Series 50mW Orange Handheld Laser: $599.99

Ah, then there ain't the same. After all, isn't the same model.

Can you pass me a link of the CNI GB?

http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/cni-gb-12-fast-we-can-do-59876.html

Dr Evil, could you clarify my confusion a bit?

Did you order Spartan Series 50mW Orange Handheld Laser :: Orange Handheld Laser --- 589nm Laser ----- Spartan Series Lasers :: Handheld Lasers :: Dragon Lasers or did you order the 10mW CNI from Glenn's CNI GB?

Is the point basically that a 10mW CNI from Glenn's GB is probably going to be over-spec and hit 50mW, but what DL is doing is just buying, testing, and then selling at a higher (but accurate) rated power of 50mW?

The Spartan is the same thing as the PGL-III-M. You can get 5, 10, 30, 50 or 80mW through Glenn's GB. They may or may not be over spec. Dragon only sells the 5 and 50mW versions. I've never ordered from Dragon so I don't know how they are as far as customer service, being up to spec and other stuff. It sounds like they will replace the laser if it isn't up to spec though.

I got the 10mW through Glenn's GB. Hopefully that answered you questions.

I bought the 50mw version and so far I have mixed feelings on it. This is my first 589 so I would appreciate feedback as to whether or not I should send this one back for another one. The color is beautiful but the laser is extremely unstable and temperature sensitive (normal for 589 right?). I hit a max of 55 mw with it but it only stays above 50 mw for around 10 seconds then it bounces around between 30 and 40 mw. After 90 seconds it's pretty warm and starts to fall below 20 mw so I turn it off. I wonder if the laser is not up to spec or if the Spartan host is does not offer enough heatsink. Let me know what you think.

rhd

If 589nm DPSS systems are generally 3% efficient (wikipedia), then 50mW of 589nm suggests basically a 2W pump diode. That should get pretty toasty, pretty quickly.