Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan or Aurora 150mW?

Good luck with them! post some pice once you get them!

-Adrian

i´m messed up now. In the Spartan(my favourite) review of FrancoRob he wrote this:
""So, as you can see, the Spartan shows a specific P.O. having about the half value of the Viper, I think this is why the Viper beam looks brighter....and this is also the reason of the 150mW Spartan model lower burning power: to have the same burning power of the Viper (taking constant the beam diameters), the Spartan P.O. should be:

x/2.54sqmm = 127mW/sqmm, that is: x = 127 x 2.54 = 322.6 mW *""
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/spartan-gw-150mw-dragon-laser-part-2-a-37907.html (full review)
Does that mean that the viper 95mW has a brighter beam and is better in burning than the 150mW one? Module or spartan, that is the question :S

Oh, well, I have just found your thread, so I'll try to clarify more my review...

3779745379_0299d36fb0.jpg

As you can see, the Spartan beam is "more visible" just because it is thicker rather the Viper one (2 mm against 1.2 mm). There is not a clear visible difference in brightness: to see a visible increase in brightness you need to go really up in power output.
Different is the burning power: with the same power output (in mW), thinner is the beam and better is the burning capability, as the power is concentrated in a smaller area (smaller dot). To have the same burning power of my Viper 95, as per my graphos, the Spartan PO would have been 322.6 mW.
BTW, I can understand you: I loved too the shape of the Spartan, as it is not so bulk as the "high power lasers" (Hulk, Opto RPLs, etc.) but has a click-on continuous power button switch...; in addition, you can fit on it a damned good beam expander at a really honest price! Unfortunately my experience was not positive, and after two underpowered Spartans I have been refunded. So I wish you a better luck.:) I know that DL (Frank is a really nice guy) is ongoing to improve their quality.

The only alternative would be to have an O-like green module assembled in a good host; several LPF members can do a really good job, offering a high quality assembly of these modules in good hosts having a click-on continuous button switch... the only single point that's not clear about these modules is their divergence: in spite of the fact that a lot of members own these lasers, I have not find in the Forum a clear numeric value attesting this characteristic:undecided:, and this in spite of the fact that both Pseudonomen 137 and Optotronic sites offer the possibility to calculate this value....

Last edited:

dead

When i got it i´ll post some pictures:) I have to put some money on PayPal. I´ll order the laser probably on Wednsday.
I think the Spartan series are build for a good beam and not for burning... and the Aurora GW for burning.
I´ll buy the Spartan and then(when i got money again) an o like module (125~150 or, when it´s in stock again, 200mW) for burning. Are there any blu ray modules? I couldn´t find any in the web.

cust11

There are no bluray modules. You have to buy a sled and extract the diode and put it in a module.

-Mike

dead

Can i use every module? Or do i need to build it all by myself? What do you mean with a sled?

cust11

You have a lot of research to do if you do not know what I sled is. I suggest looking around the bluray forum.

-Mike

dead

Okay i´ll have a look and maybe search for a tutorial or something

dead

Okay i changed my mind i heard from a youtube user that the spartan 150mW does not light firecracks:p the 300mW version needs longer to light the firecrack than the aurora for a match witch is more than 1 meter away... so the spartan died for me. I think this will be my last question: is the o-like 125~150mW module more powerful then the Aurora GW 150mW? like burning stuff...

Last edited:
Ok dead seriously I told you get a blu ray. Green should be out of the question if you want burning. something like 200 dollars from Darkarmyofone for a 200mw Green, and I think you can get a new lens from larry for more power.

200mw red laser for 47 dollars at www.0-like.com--Ê×Ò³ burns better than my friends 400 dollars 265mw green laser. Anyways a 100mW blu ray should burn better than a 200 mw red :)