Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan GW 150mW from Dragon Laser

Updated the 2009/04/02

Here is my attempt to start a decent review of the Spartan GW 150: due to the quantity of info I've planned to show, the review will be splitted in some chapters.
In the meanwhile all comments are welcome and will be taken into consideration for further implementation in the next chapter, if required.

Introduction

After a positive experience with a DL Viper GW 95, during the Xmas time I was thinking to buy another green laser, maybe a little bit more powerful: a simple one not too big, without safeties like pins, keys, etc., with an on-off click tail switch (I was tired to use a clothes-peg to keep the Viper continuously lightened), a good battery and no duty cycle.

After some mumble-mumble  :-?, also taking into account the DL Christmas offer, I choose the Spartan GW 150mW. Being a happy owner of the DL Beam Expander, I enclosed in the order also the relevant adapter.

Chapter 1

At its arrival, my first task has been to verify the laser output power, test carried out by means of my new LPM LaserBee I DeLuxe (Thank you Jerry, it's a beauty and the Data Logging work perfectly): the laser takes about 30 seconds to warm up and to reach a quite steady 170 mW (see the relevant grapho).

Then, herewith I start to show some pictures of the Spartan: the first visual impression is that the beam diameter is noticeably thicker than the Viper one; this is the "on field" confirmation of what DL declares:
Viper Beam Diameter: 1.2mm @ aperture
Spartan GW Beam Diameter : <2mm @ aperture

Chapter 2

Now some technical Data.
In its standard configuration:
- the laser length is 184 mm
- equipped with the battery (a TR18650 2500mAh 3.7V) the laser weight is 210 g.

In its "expanded" configuration (that is, with the Beam Expander installed):
- the total length is 250 mm
- equipped with the battery and the BE the laser weight is 300 g.

To give a visual comparison of the laser size without and with the BE installed, here are some pictures of the Spartan, the Viper and the IgorT BR Romisen host.

Figure 4: Dimensional comparison (top to bottom) between the IgorT Romisen host, the Viper and the Spartan.

Figure 5, top to bottom: The Viper, the DL Beam Expander with the adapter ring and the Spartan.

Figure 6, top to bottom: the Viper and the Spartan with the BE installed.

Chapter 3

If someone is curious to see how the Beam Expander may implement the Spartan beam, give a look to the Figure 7.... ;)

NOTE: While performing the longer tests as promised to Brtaman, I have noticed abnormal losses in the output power; having informed DL of the problems, I have received an immediate RMA authorization to ship back the Spartan for investigation and repair/replacement of the laser, thing that I have already done. So I'll continue this review as soon as I'll receive the Spartan properly operating.

In date 03/07 DL has confirmed the receipt of the Spartan.

In date 03/18 DL has informed that a new Spartan is going to be shipped.

In date 03/29 DL has confirmed that a new Spartan has been shipped.

Indate 04/02 A new Spartan received. - Go to see the new part 2 of the review.

..Continue..

Attachments

• Story-2c.jpg
    Story-2c.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 313

very good :) the beam expander is good? works also with a red laser ( like dilda) ? eheheh now you can burn match at about 10 /15 meter if not more :)

Very nice laser, seems very stable after it warms up. Could you do a longer test 3-5 min, I am really interested if it keeps it up. The spartan is a very sexy laser, been considering one for a while now.

Given the larger beam diameter, how is the divergence compared to the viper?

Thanks for the review, could you keep updating the first post as opposed to separate posts as it makes it much easier to read

brtaman said:
Very nice laser, seems very stable after it warms up. Could you do a longer test 3-5 min, I am really interested if it keeps it up. The spartan is a very sexy laser, been considering one for a while now.

Given the larger beam diameter, how is the divergence compared to the viper?

Thanks for the review, could you keep updating the first post as opposed to separate posts as it makes it much easier to read

Hi brtaman, I can for sure update the first post with additional info, the difficulties are connected to the pictures: you know that there is a size limit for the pictures file that can be added to a message.... :)

BTW, I'll try to make a longer test.... ;)

realista said:
very good :) the beam expander is good? works also with a red laser ( like dilda) ? eheheh now you can burn match at about 10 /15 meter if not more :)

Hi realista, The BE lenses look treated, so I don't know if they can work with a red laser, I'll ask to DL. BTW, take care that this BE has been manufactured mainly for green lasers, as DL offers adapter for Vipers and Spartan (Hook and Hook Ultra are also under future plans....).

I don't know (in this moment) how far can the Spartan GW 150, equipped with BE, light matches, I'll try soon...