Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spam Threads

SN P

Hi, over the last couple of days I've noticed 2 new members spamming other threads or creating new threads spamming their "businesses"

I'm surely not the only one that finds it annoying.
I'm a new member, so the last thing I want to do is try and tell anyone here what to do or even how to run the threads for that matter, but I think it would be useful if there was a way to prevent it like how members are only able to post threads in the BST section when their post count is 20.

I enjoy reading new threads and have found it really annoying to have to scroll past spams.
Just thought I'd share with all of you :whistle:

So you are saying, people should have to have [x] number of posts before they can post?

Just let the staff do their job. They take care of spam within 24 hours of it being posted. Usually its more like within 1-2 hours of it being posted.

Rifter

I agree there have been lots of spammers, and sometimes it can take the staff many hours to remove it. This forum needs more active mods I think, but at the same time it really isn't a big forums.

Im part of a few forums where spam doesn't last more than a few min but they are much larger with dozens of mods and hundreds of thousands of members.

SN P

So you are saying, people should have to have [x] number of posts before they can post?

Just let the staff do their job. They take care of spam within 24 hours of it being posted. Usually its more like within 1-2 hours of it being posted.

No I'm talking about starting spam threads. I know it gets taken care of but it's annoying especially with subscribed threads. I'm not telling the staff what to do but rather expressing if you get me?

No I'm talking about starting spam threads. I know it gets taken care of but it's annoying especially with subscribed threads. I'm not telling the staff what to do but rather expressing if you get me?

No I don't "get" you at all. You are saying members shouldn't be able to make spam threads...well...duh. There's nothing to stop anyone from doing so, unless you want to require a captcha for every post (and there are bots that can get through captchas anyway)

SN P

No I don't "get" you at all. You are saying members shouldn't be able to make spam threads...well...duh. There's nothing to stop anyone from doing so, unless you want to require a captcha for every post (and there are bots that can get through captchas anyway)

I'm just expressing my thoughts on this matter. I'm saying I feel that it should be as easy as signing up and posting several threads minutes later.
As I said in the op, I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do or how to run the forum, that would be ill mannered of me especially as I haven't been a member for a long time, just expressing my thoughts

There is a simple way to prevent that - checking if user made unusually high numbers of posts within small time.

For example 10 posts within 10 seconds is physically impossible, it's stop most of this automated crap.

Or maybe even 2 posts within 5 seconds - we'd prevent the double post glitch that way too!

Like many things in life, SPAM is impossible to eliminate 100%, so you just live with it and try your best to ignore it. So when I see a post about some "great new store" or some such thing, take it with a grain of salt.

Maybe the newcomers might be fooled by such messages, but the smart user will look at the observations from several other users. Newcomers should take the time to read and study what others are saying and not zero in on remarks of one person.

Bob Diaz