Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sources of Verified 200mW+ Pointers?

Malak

Ok, I've read with alarm how some of the sellers are either lying or engaging in clever typos etc and the laser does not put out the supposed power.

Who DOES sell what they claim & cheapest at this time?

Has anyone measured the output from BuyNow.com?

thanks

Malak

Thanks.

I guess the url is technically buynowmobi.com

I got one of their 200mW not focusable ones for like $37. It IS wicked bright at HUGE distances(as far as you can see) and visible in the daytime etc. But I'm not so sure it is at the rated power because it does not seem to pass the usual burn tests although I am waiting on 3.6V batteries versus the 3.2 it came with.

Moptsp

What can it burn? If it's really at 200mw, it would be able to light matches no problem.

Novalasers and Dragonlasers both sell "pointer" CNI (high quality lasers) lasers. They are much more than $37, but they will put out up to spec.

A lot will say that pen sized lasers are not really capable of putting out >=200mw efficiently, and this is probably true to some extent as you wont see any of these higher quality lasers speced at that. Though if you look at the Novalasers Endeavor series, they go up to 275mw in spec. But these are slightly lager than pen size.

Malak

Well, originally I just went looking for the most powerful pointer for less than an outrageous sum to me.
That website where I got it is probably a chinese clearing house for all their goods and each pointer may come from different manufacturers. Although the 200mW prices are low, the only higher-powered ones listed are $1000+.
It also listed mine as taking an "AA" which I wanted on purpose. Turned-out to really be a 3.2 which is good after reading about the 3.6 upgrade but I have no way to charge the battery till the charger gets here and I did not attempt any burn tests till the 3.2 was already dying. So I can't honestly say what it can do just yet.

Malak

Crap, I might have partially ruined my first pointer. I had read how putting them in the freezer gives them more power for like 15 minutes afterwards. And when I tested it afterwards the beam died after a short while. And ever since then it does the same thing. I assumed it was from the battery being weak but I received the new batteries and charger yesterday and it still does it. Any thoughts other than don't put my next one in the freezer?? lol

Moptsp

Were did you hear that?? I can't imagine that would make it more powerful. Being that it's a DPSS laser, it would just screw with the crystal alignment and make it mode hop. Though in extreme cases (like putting it into a freezer...) I assume it would screw it up.

It's true that if you can keep the laser cool while in run time that it will keep running good and more stable, but freezing it and then running it, I can't see anything but disaster in that equation. :O

Get you a high quality laser and don't stick it in a freezer. :p

P.S
The forums have a lot of useful info to help separate you from doing things like that lol. ;)

Malak

Well, I had not found this forum yet when I saw it mentioned on youtube. Obviously, I trust you guys as experts now that I've found this forum moreso than some random teenager. lol

At least it was only a $37 pointer and not a $200 one and it does still work, but in pulse mode now.