Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Source for Blackbuck 8M driver?

smana

Hello all,

I recently heard the Blackbuck 8M driver, which is out of stock at DTR and Barnett, is still in-production.....somewhere.

I assumed it was out of production due to China's chip shortage but maybe not.

I tried to contact x-wossee via ebay but no response. Maybe his geographical location is in upheaval and he is shut down?

Giannis_TDM

Hello all,

I recently heard the Blackbuck 8M driver, which is out of stock at DTR and Barnett, is still in-production.....somewhere.

I tried to contact x-wossee via ebay but no response. Maybe his geographical location is in upheaval and he is shut down?
How much current output you need? Take a look at my open source driver and see if its ok for your needs.

Hello all,

X-Wossee is in Russia so you won't be seeing any more drivers from him anytime soon. I recently sold the last of my BB8's. I only have the ACS4500's and maybe a few other random drivers left from him.

Yeah, for me it's been confusing looking at DTR because I've been bouncing between his Google site and his WWW, some stuff & specs on one and some on the other! lol
Also found he has an Ebay shop https://www.ebay.com/str/dtrlpf

Glad to see you over here Shmackitup, I'd actually came across your Ebay store a few days ago. You're just too high powered for me currently...

Yeah, for me it's been confusing looking at DTR because I've been bouncing between his Google site and his WWW, some stuff & specs on one and some on the other! lol
Also found he has an Ebay shop https://www.ebay.com/str/dtrlpf

Glad to see you over here Shmackitup, I'd actually came across your Ebay store a few days ago. You're just too high powered for me currently...
I have quite a stock of items not listed anywhere as well. If there's something in particular you're looking for I might have it or something similar.

I have quite a stock of items not listed anywhere as well. If there's something in particular you're looking for I might have it or something similar.
Good to know, I'd already saved you as a seller in Ebay and bookmarked your site for future reference.

smana

DTR's new website now lists the Blackbuck 8M - no "Out of stock" note.

Did he get a new batch? That's odd because about a month ago, Augie said they were out with no new stock in sight.

smana

Augie said they do have a few BB-8M drivers in stock.

However, they do not set the current to the customer's spec for those BB-8M drivers (although they do provide that service for some of their other drivers). I don't know what the rationale is behind that though.

Since I'm not proficient enough to make a test load in order to set the on-board potentiometer to the max current I need, I guess I will go with the ACS4500BU driver - which they do set the current to the customer's spec. Keep it simple, as they say.....

Last edited:

smana

Is there a safe way to set the pot on the driver with the laser diode attached?

For example, if the BB-8M driver is pre-set at 1.6A, can I turn off the power, slowly turn the pot in a very small increment, turn the power back on and measure the current to the laser diode with a amp meter, and do this over and over until I reach my desired current of 2.1A ( I prefer to set the current below the nominal operating current for a NUBM07E of 2.3A), will this work?

Since I am setting the current at 2.1A and the nominal is 2.3A, I assume this decreases the risk of current overshoot as I set the pot very slowly. The max current for this diode is 3.5A.

Last edited:

smana

If you can't build a test load you can buy one here > https://www.survivallaser.com/20A_Heavy_Duty_Selectable_Test_Load/p556088_14651126.aspx

I often set my drivers with an inductive current meter driving a 1 ohm 100W resistor or a laser diode.

Ok, so you sometimes set your driver current with your laser diode attached (rather than a test load) - using a inductive current meter.
Is an inductive current meter that much better than a multimeter?

ok, thank you the link to the test load. I may get it.

Last edited:

smana

X-wossee (Vlad) sent this message via ebay today:

"Hello, As you may have guessed, I've put eBay on hold since my usual payment methods don't work for me now. There are other reasons as well. Drivers are being produced but I can't say when they will be available for European overseas."

I let Vlad know I got a few Blackbuck 8M drivers (v3) recently from DTR. I should have asked what makes this latest driver a v3. Probably some small improvements somewhere.

Glad to hear Vlad is ok with the war going on, and the harsh military draft - which every man seems to be trying to avoid.

smana

X-Wossee sent another message via ebay today:

"I'm sorry you can't get drivers the easy way :( I hope that in 2023 our bosses will finish dividing spheres of influence and we will return to a more or less usual course of things (doubtful). As for LPF members if anyone is curious, I'm available via PM.
Again, Happy New Year!"

Vlad sounds ok so that's a good thing.