Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sony to Release 21W RGB laser projector this year

That document says SHG green. that's means its not a green diode..
But that also means the output isn't coming out of a bar..
That's a good thing, because that means they are probably just
expanding the beam after the fact.

Of course the bar outputs of the blue and red would be almost
impossible to collimate, like others said. But still, a new blue color.
Maybe launch it into a fiber, and use it that way.. Hard to to.

Well the green laser FTM is not an array, but a DPSS, since green diodes are still under developpement.

Though by the time they start selling them, they might start using arrays, since DPSS systems modulate quite badly and are more expensive.

Razako

I'm not really worried about this at all. I mean Good Luck turning those diode bars with HORRIBLE divergence and real cooling/power needs into an affordable pointer. They'd make a fun labby, but that's about it.

LZR

Hmm just a question: Why is it dangerous to shine a powerful laserpointer on a white wall inside, but shining several watts of laserpower with a projector on a white canvas is ok?

Hmm just a question: Why is it dangerous to shine a powerful laserpointer on a white wall inside, but shining several watts of laserpower with a projector on a white canvas is ok?

probably cos any images formed will cause the light to be spread out a fair amount. most lasers dont actually give off a huge amount of light, the danger is that they're focused to intensely

The projector image is spread over a large area (energy density lower) and the optics and LCD/chip can absorb a reasonable amount of that power. Also, the laser output is not directly used (as it is in a laser show projector or spirograph) - the lasers are essentially just used as a cheap and simple way of producing blue for the image chip. The output light isn't coherent as far as I know (the green/blue definitely isn't, but I'm not certain about the blue.