Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

son's revenge bit too sweet (help) (canada)

The richardson's ground squirrel is a common species round these parts
as for "hunter"..note the quote marks..for legal reasons

Why you even writing here if you're in NY? asking for canadian legal help here

And to all saying I will be penalized harshly, this is not like the USA where the prison system is a big marketing scheme and you get 20 years for sneezing, so show respect or go away from my listing

-Willio

its not the legal issues that we are concerned about.. its the moral issues!
I dont care what country for from! Pointing a laser at someones eyes is just wrong. Would you point it at one of your gophers eyes if it went AWOL on you?

yea your probably right

but reading a definition i feel it could work for this guy

Last edited:
pipe down, gents

this is not the first time i had discussions with 1-dimensional thinkers and mischief makers.

Would you point it at one of your gophers eyes if it went AWOL on you?
respectfully, you have no clue as to how I treat the gophers, yes on this property there reside what would be considered a large squad of gophers, by no means do I treat them like livestock, vermin, or pests. They may leave at any time

only thanks to Dutch fellow so far who gave good info.

to others, I almost thanked you gents for the "information" you guys were providing. but you felt like such big boys that you know something better than me about lasers.. My god, how exclusionary

Will update when RCMP contact me

Last edited:
pipe down, gents

this is not the first time i had discussions with 1-dimensional thinkers and mischief makers.

respectfully, you have no clue as to how I treat the gophers, yes on this property there reside what would be considered a large squad of gophers, by no means do I treat them like livestock, vermin, or pests. They may leave at any time

only thanks to Dutch fellow so far who gave good info.

to others, I almost thanked you gents for the "information" you guys were providing. but you felt like such big boys that you know something better than me about lasers.. My god, how exclusionary

Your way of life and thinking is ... strange. You mentioned the gophers to ... brag? Establish your higher standing in life?

Here's the situation.

You and your son should not handle lasers period. If you cannot handle them with the respect they deserve then do not handle them at all. Laser eye damage is permanent. It doesn't heal like a broken arm or leg. But with your desire to immediately kill someone/intruder is disturbing in itself and is now worse that it's armed with a laser.

I don't care if you feel you're being disrespected here, as far as everyone else is concerned you disrespected us and the hobby with your lack of knowledge about them and lack of respect. Your gophers mean nothing to us here as well as your comments. Regardless of any law on this planet, we don't condone misuse of lasers. If you want advice then you must adhere to "our" rules.

Encap

OK assuming you are not a troll for the moment , here are a few things to think about.

gang, let's be honest here.
This is a tense situation and we have recieved no word from the RCMP. Each day my son asks if there will be consequences. and i dont know what to answer. which is why i come here. Even put "Canada" in the header

This is only a blue laser, not red. Also, only one intruder was flashed.

You say "only a blue laser not red" what is that supposed to mean? A 1W blue laser is more dangerous to eyes than other wavelengths because blue causes photochemical induced retinal damage in addition to thermally induced injury due to absorbed energy.

A 1W blue laser is powerful enough to cause eye damage and/or permanently blind someone in less than the blink reflex time of 0.25 seconds depending upon how far away from the laser the target eyes are. Blue is more dangerous to eyes than green or red because distance at which flash blindness and ocular damage occur are about the same-- the flashblind effect range falls within the eye damage range which extends beyond the flashblind range-- in other words you can't use a blue laser to flashblind/dazzle without the risk of causing serious permanent eye damage. This is why all laser dazzlers are green not blue because you can flashblind with green without causing permanent eye damage. For more nformation see: Laser Pointer Safety - Different lasers' hazards compared As was mentioned in post #9 of this thread ---- blinding lasers are banned even as weapons of war by UN treaty. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_on_Blinding_Laser_Weapons

An example of the eye damage 1W blue lasers can do, can be see in this thread by a member who suffered same : http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

While I am not a Canadian lawyer I would guess it is a pretty safe bet that causing someone eye damage or blinding them with a laser in Canada is not without possible legal problems and liability problems.

Why you even writing here if you're in NY? asking for canadian legal help here

"As of June 2011, it is illegal to import, sell, or provide (meaning giving to anyone, including to you son), high-powered portable lasers (Class 3B and Class 4) to a consumer in Canada under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act. That means you. There are no loopholes. The regulations are purposefully structured to be extremely conservative and broad in scope. It doesn't matter what you intend to use them for, or that you already have one, or whether you think that you're not a "consumer". If you are not a scientist working in a laser lab at a University, or a CLSO, or an OEM which is integrating these lasers into other devices for commercial purposes, then you are a consumer.
What does this mean for the Canadian laser industry and Canadian laser purchasers?:
-If you attempt to import a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher you can expect to have it seized, as we have seen already.
-If you attempt to sell or make available a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher, Health Canada has an incredible array of powers to utilize against you, including product seizure, mandatory recall, huge fines, etc. Note, it doesn't need to be a sale. Giving one of these to your brother for free would be considered a violation." From post #1 in thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/canadian-restrictions-portable-lasers-official-info-release-laserglow-73129.html

I found this on the Canadian laser reseller Laserglow Technologies http://www.laserglow.com/catalog.htm?gclid=CM_t7NWbscYCFdgBgQode6MAuw web site: -- "In Canada: Consumers are not permitted to purchase portable lasers classified as Class 3B or higher, as per Health Canada regulations. You may only purchase a high-powered portable laser by submitting a Purchase Order on behalf of an organization (company, government department, or educational institution) with a defined commercial or academic requirement for such a device. The device may not subsequently enter into commerce within Canada. (It may not be sold, rented, loaned, or given away.) "

Please do.
You should contact RCMP and a Canadian lawyer, not necessarily in that order, to discuss and assess you and your son's situation and possible legal ramifications of your actions, ASAP.

Last edited:
You say "only a blue laser not a red" what is that supposed to mean?
A 1W blue laser is powerful enough to permanently blind someone in less than the blink reflex time of 0.25 seconds. Blue is more dangerous to eyes than green or red because distance at which flash blindness occurs is less than the distance away at which ocular damage occurs--in other words the flashblind effect range falls within the eye damage range -- you can't use a blue laser to flashblind/dazzle without the risk of causing serious permanent eye damage. This is why all laser dazzlers are green not blue because you can flashblind with green without causing permanent eye damage. For more nformation see: Laser Pointer Safety - Different lasers' hazards compared As was mentioned in post #9 of this thread ---- blinding lasers are banned even as weapons of war by UN treaty . See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_on_Blinding_Laser_Weapons

I was about to ask if the "this is only a blue laser" part was a joke or something.

Would be nice if someone could do the maths on how much mW of a laser equals the amount of damage done by looking directly at the sun for a second, with your unprotected eyes. I think someone said looking down the barrel of a 1mW laser for a second would be worse than looking at the sun for a second. That should say enough.

APEX1

At this point I think this was posted to just piss as many people off as possible.

It is a little silly indeed, and nobody should be getting mad off this person. Like someone once said in a YouTube video:

"If you give good advice and that person still doesn't want to listen to you, then hey it's still good advice".

-Alex

Last edited:
Im on the fence about if its a troll or not.. its just too weird and random for some one to "make the story up" kinda thing.
He says he came for legal advice or whatever and he got it. He didn't like what he heard and was offended by it!
We are a professional group of people that want to keep the hobby safe. We cannot have people thinking this kind of behavior/actions is ok!!

APEX1

Im on the fence about if its a troll or not.. its just too weird and random for some one to "make the story up" kinda thing.
He says he came for legal advice or whatever and he got it. He didn't like what he heard and was offended by it!!!

That's why I feel like he is only here to piss people off.

Last edited:
I was about to ask if the "this is only a blue laser" part was a joke or something.

Would be nice if someone could do the maths on how much mW of a laser equals the amount of damage done by looking directly at the sun for a second, with your unprotected eyes. I think someone said looking down the barrel of a 1mW laser for a second would be worse than looking at the sun for a second. That should say enough.

I thought of doing the same thing! Although what I can say about that is that a laser is vastly more dangerous than the sun. From what I could find, it takes more than one minute (>60 seconds (It actually said 100 sec, but I'd rather be safe with estimates;))) to cause eye damage from looking at the sun. Which must be somewhere equal to 1-5mW of laser power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sungazing

Last edited:
Wow this thread grew fast. First off Canada has much stricter rules on hand held lasers than the USA. It appears that you do not realize that any laser over 5mw of any color beam(wavelength in nm) can cause serious and permanent eye damage. Please learn about laser safety because you or your son might be hurt next by a mistake that could easily be avoided with proper knowledge on laser safety. You let your child do this on purpose makes it that much more neglectful and irresponsible. That would be like letting them grab toilet bowl cleaner and splashing it into the persons face/eyes.
With that said, I am prepared and willing to use lethal force to defend my loved ones if an intruder ever breaks into our home. I do not want to and hope that I never have to but I will if they force me into that situation. Black Talons cause massive wound channels!!

I appreciate the info from listing #39 which was all news to me. as such, i will be governing myself accordingly and more careful of the info i share publicly from now on.

Will update further.

To listing #38, wow you belittled a stranger in the internet. scratch that off your bucket list. very impressive. As for my son and i, we will continue our laser activities.

Praise the lord
-Willio

Last edited: