Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Something has gone very wrong with my Spartan 589nm

Razako

It's like the output has just gone way down for no apparent reason. I haven't abused the laser, dropped it or ever left it on for more than 2-3 minutes.

Just yesterday it was working fine until I noticed the output dropping off while I was pointing it around outside at night. I thought "oh must be the battery", so today I tried putting in a fresh AW 18650 and the problem remains. It used to start weak and then have a strong peak at which point the laser could melt thin black plastic.

Now it seems to be putting out 3-10mw judging by how bright the dot is. It's about as bright as my 5mw lyra now. Doesn't matter how long I leave it on, the output doesn't go back up. The laser just gets warm and continues putting out 3-10 mw. Nothing seems overly wrong with the beam profile and it actually stays relatively stable after warming up. It's just like the average power has gone down from 50mw to 5mw.

Is it possible for the crystals in these to 'break in' or something and settle at a lower value after an hour or two of overall use? I'm sort of at a loss with regard to what has happened to my laser. Just 2 days ago it put out a brilliant golden beam into the sky and now it's like a weak 5mw laser.

Video showing my issue. This is my spartan being shown side by side with my laserglow 5mw lyra. At MAX it gets to be slightly brighter than the lyra and that's already going into the 2+ minute mark. A fresh-off-the-charger quality 18650 measured at 4.2 volts was used in this test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1iSzV7kUG0

That's not good.... Im having doubts of wether or not to get a 589 Spartan now..... Did you try running it at different temps? Some DPSS like it cold while others like it warm? :)

-Alex

Razako

That's not good.... Im having doubts of wether or not to get a 589 Spartan now..... Did you try running it at different temps? Some DPSS like it cold while others like it warm? :)

-Alex
Idk man. Nothing against dragon lasers(the laser worked fine when I got it), but CNI seems to be having some issues with these. You might get lucky and get one of the gems or you might get one with problems. For the time being I'd say to start collecting with one of the 638/445 spartans. It's pretty hard to screw up the direct diode lasers. Even the 473nm DPSS lasers are more reliable than these.

When cold the laser barely puts out anything. As it warms up the output increases, but never makes past 10mw or so. The video I put up is a very accurate showing of what this laser is doing lately. Obviously the pump diode and driver are in working condition. Seems like something has gone wrong with the crystals.

Last edited:
Idk man. Nothing against dragon lasers(the laser worked fine when I got it), but CNI seems to be having some issues with these. You might get lucky and get one of the gems or you might get one with problems. For the time being I'd say to start collecting with one of the 638/445 spartans. It's pretty hard to screw up the direct diode lasers. Even the 473nm DPSS lasers are more reliable than these.

Ugh, and I was hoping for a 589! Might get a 300mW 405 so I can also buy an LPM alongside it or something.

Hopefully this is an easy fix and I can still get a 589 :(

Edit: I think I'll get myself a 650nm JetLasers first. Don't want to spend $400+ and risk getting a dud.

-Alex

Last edited:

Razako

Any thoughts anyone? Obviously this laser has gone defective, but I'm wondering if anyone has the slightest idea as to why/how.

I've checked the spring inside the laser and the tailcap contact and there's no corrosion. I've also checked the tailcap switch for continuity and it seems fine. Reads .4 ohms. All tests were conducted at a room temperature of around 60 degrees.

Some before and after shots:
Spartan working normally 3 days ago.
IMG_0701_zpsvrl0ptsg.jpg

How it looks now from 20 feet away on a wall. Spot is relatively normal looking outside of being way less bright than before.
IMG_0714_zps6leo30wy.jpg

Last edited:

Razako

I Measured the current draw at 2.02 amps. This laser is eating up about 7-8watts of power and isn't putting much of it out at the other end. Is it possible for the crystal set in these to 'break-in' and settle at a lower efficiency state?

diachi

I Measured the current draw at 2.02 amps. This laser is eating up about 7-8watts of power and isn't putting much of it out at the other end. Is it possible for the crystal set in these to 'break-in' and settle at a lower efficiency state?

Spot shape looks decent enough - that's a good sign. It's entirely possible the diode failed - diodes can fail or drastically drop in output power but continue to consume the same amount of electrical power.

It could be other things too though ... SFG is complicated and picky.

Razako

Spot shape looks decent enough - that's a good sign. It's entirely possible the diode failed - diodes can fail or drastically drop in output power but continue to consume the same amount of electrical power.

It could be other things too though ... SFG is complicated and picky.
Yeah, I'm kinda wondering if the pump diode went zombie mode or something. I've seen where overdriven diodes can 'die' and lose most of the output, but still work a little bit. As for WHY that would happen to my spartan I have no idea. Hopefully I didn't kill it by using a AW high drain cell with it:( Might just be a coincidence that this all happened when I used the AW cell.

Guess I'll contact Dragon Lasers and see what they can do for me.

Edit: I've sent an email to DL and I'm currently waiting on their response.

Last edited:
My first thought was the pump diode, too. I doubt the crystals are your problem as they should be able to handle more optical power than this device is using. But, it's only my thoughts as I am not there and can't troubleshoot it from here.