Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some questions for my first build

Hello Everyone,

I have read most of the tutorials, and they were very helpful, but there are still a few things I dont quite understand. I have been interested in building a laser for quite some time, but I have never soldered or worked with electronics so I am trying to understand all of this and hopefully not screw anything up....

I have ordered these parts :

PHR-803T Diode in Aixiz Module Housing
405nm PHR-803T Blu Ray Diode in Aixiz Laser Module Housing [PHR-803T in Aixiz module] - $19.83 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!

Rkcstr MicroDrive V3 Adjustable driver
Micro-Drive V3 adjustable driver (assembled) - $13.00 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics

Test Load KIT
Test Load KIT (AKA Dummy load, unassembled) - $5.75 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics

MXDL flashlight DX SKU 3405
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3405

People were saying the test load kit made things much easier to set the current for a driver. I'm not sure if i got this figured out, but I was thinking i could just attach batteries to the driver, and then a multimeter to the other side of the driver to read the current. Can someone please explain how this test load kit is supposed to work, and what are the advantages over setting current with the driver alone?

One other thing I was curious about..... Heatsinks, I didnt order one. Do I really need one? I saw jayrobs looked really nice and fit perfectly for this host I chose. But I wasnt sure if i needed to spend the 23 bucks or whatever it came to. Do people build lasers without heatsinks ever? What if I were to use a low current (I was thinking around 90ma)

One last thing.... If anyone has any advice/tips or things to watch out for when I am trying to solder for the first time please let me know. I was going to put together the test load kit first since it was so cheap, so I was hoping I could learn how to solder with that.

Anyway, if someone could shine some laser light on these questions for me, that would be great haha.

Thanks guys

D

Deleted member 8382

You think right. A test load is quite unnecesary to set the current on a linear driver such as the rkcstr. They are necesary for boost drivers like the flexdrive. The best way to set the current on the driver is exactly the way you suggested.

About the heatsink, if you don't use one you are risking the diode a lot, these diodes get really hot! Also, how do you plan to hold the module inside the host without one?

jaycey

First tip, practice your soldering...but not on the components you are going to use, even your test load (its important!)

Use some spare wire, strip 2 ends, tin them and then solder them together. Find a old bit of electronics board and solder some spare wire to it, just get used to your soldering iron and get to know good solder joints from bad ones. It will save you so much trouble in the long run.

The PHR diode shouldnt need much heatsinking there quite a efficient little diode.

Thats a start!

jaycey

Well I still disagree Albert, turn that driver a little to much, a slip and pop goes the diode.

These diodes do not get really hot...rubbish!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yea I was kinda wondering how I was all gonna fit together without one too.... Well ok I guess Ill just have to pick one of those up then.

I should have also noted....

I picked up a 0-50 watt variable soldering iron. How many watts do you guys generally use when your dealing with the driver and diode?

I'd stick to 15 watts. As for this being your first build you should have ordered the driver preset to whatever current you wanted , Thats what I did for my first few builds and as I started to learn more it became second nature to me. Good luck with your build!!!!

-Sarge

D

Deleted member 8382

setting the current with a MM is easy lol Btw, the heatsink isn't a must as haycey said, but it's always good.

By the way, I use a 40W and I have to recognize it's too much. I must buy something lower..