Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

some "new" pics 7/27/18

These pics were taken last month using many mirrors, magnetic balls, a fan diffraction grating, and a glass sphere toward the end. Two rainbows of 460, 520, 589, & 638 were used, and the ones that are just greenish blue are a 488, 495, and 505nm. I set the bottom mirrors up in a triangle and had the eight round mirrors for the "rainbow" colors. Some very nice images inside the glass sphere toward the end. I shot this set up the following week too adding some stuff, but here are these. Enjoy

DSC_5070_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5073_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5075_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5076_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5077_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5082_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5084_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5092_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5103_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5104_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5106_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5123_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5127_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5141_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5155_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5159_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5170_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5186_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5187_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5191_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5196_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5203_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5206_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5207_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5217_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5219_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5223_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5227_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5229_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5238_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5240_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5254_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5269_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5271_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5273_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5274_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_5275_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Well, Bruce, It was worth the wait, these are some super shots; very, very cool! :beer:

I like every one of these, but 5077, 5084, and 5219 are my favorites; I'm also liking 5274, it's simple compared to some others, maybe that's the attraction.
:kewlpics: :gj:

Last edited:

Benm

There are really great pics!

I love how you get the curvy lines effect like in DSC_5092 - i assume this is just caused by geometry and/or distortion in the camera lens?

Obviously all beams go in a straight line, but these photo's make it look like they are actually looping around the room somehow.

Would you like to explain how you got this effect, perhaps by posting a picture with a secondary camera to see how the shot was set up? If you want it to keep your personal secret recipe i'd understand, but it would be cool to know how to make these (i'm sure you spent a lot of time setting them up).

Bruce uses a fisheye lens. He has been doing it for years. It does have a cool effect with lasers as you normally see only straight lines.

Thanks everyone! I think my favs are 5219 and 5223. At least for me what is captured inside the glass sphere and the contrast of the edges of the sphere and the background make them special for me. Also the reflections in the mirrors on the table and the magnetic balls are also a nice touch

Benn - Paul is right, that effect is using a fisheye lens. By changing the angle of a laser to the camera, you can control the amount of "bend" in the perfectly straight line of a laser beam. If I make the beam centered , it will be straight but everything else in the pics will be curved.

Tell me about it!:beer::beer:
Did anyone catch his pic of the "Hall Of Fame" room with his laser art pics on the wall:):)

Very cool pics and yes that's an interesting perspective, I always saw the glass as being larger, very interesting and some beautiful pics. :D

OMG Bruce, these photos are STUNNING!! Once again you’ve captured the timeless beauty of color in motion. I always look forward to opening a post from brucemir! I wish that I could help you reach the Rep ceiling, but I’m unable to send any more Reps at the moment. Thanks again for sharing your unique and wonderful vision. We are all grateful for your kind gift. Please Take Care. :D

-cd

Benm

Benn - Paul is right, that effect is using a fisheye lens. By changing the angle of a laser to the camera, you can control the amount of "bend" in the perfectly straight line of a laser beam. If I make the beam centered , it will be straight but everything else in the pics will be curved.

I figured as much, but the effect is stunning and dramatic.

How fish-eye are we talking here? Something as extreme as a 7mm equivalent?

Normally such lenses produce a very noticeable distortion when taking photo's of landscapes and such you really need to correct for in software after to get decent photos, but i reckon with only these beams that might be different.

For landscape panorma's and such it's a pain to correct for these lenses, but here it somehow seems "natural" and one could think the beams are actually bending like that without any prior knowledge.

Great stuff, Bruce!! I really like what the glass ball caught in 5238. Your set-ups and attention to detail are brilliant. Bravo, buddy!!