Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

some new pics 1/26/18

For these pics I first set up a square of 16 lasers, four of the same color on each side. I added a mirror for each color and soon realized that the "square" set up would not work the way I had visualized and set the lasers up in 4 vertical rows, each row with four of the same color. This is when the pics came out more geometric and visually more pleasing to me. The lasers used in each color were mixed:

the red were two 650nm and two 638nm
the yellow were three 589nm and a 593.5
the green were two 520nm and two 532nm
the blue were two 460nm, one 450nm and one 445nm

On some on them you can see the differences in frequencies, but with that many lasers on at the same time the colors blend more and I wasn't to concerned about that. But for the first time using this set up I have many ideas to explore using this set up. In the next few weeks I have some good ideas using the four vertical laser stands. Enjoy

DSC_1685_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1688_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1703_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1706_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1711_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1717_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1723_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1736_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1752_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1750_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1755_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1758_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1761_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1764_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1763_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1765_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1767_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1770_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1775_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1781_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1783_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1786_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1789_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1790_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1792_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1795_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1796_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

Love them all, Bruce. I didn't know that Sta lived close enough to visit you. I imagine it can take some time to get your setup to work, especially if it isn't working like in your mind's eye. I still can't rep you again, but I did enjoy your photos. :)

Encap

Beyond amazing--brilliant work. The 16 lasers set up is spectacular--- use of the mirrors inspired.

Can't say enough good things about the pictures-----you did it again --something new something different---fantastic photos.

+rep when I can

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
As always, a feast for the eyes! :beer:

I like when you show us the "behind the scenes" photos, thanks.

Bruce, do you ever run into any "duty cycle" issues while trying to get this many lasers turned on and adjusted, and then finally being able to get some photos?
I've got to believe you have a lot of 'on-off-cool down' cycles to capture all this fantastic laser p0rn! :D

:gj: and :kewlpics: +rep!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Bowtieguy - What I do to minimize the time the lasers are on is first, compose the photo and do the manual focusings using white light and take a test shot or two. Once I am happy with that I will use (usually) a green laser or two to make sure the lasers are composed the way I want. Then a test shot or two to confirm my exposure . So now I have a sharp focused, well exposed test shot. Next I will turn on all of the RG & B prepositioned lasers and take a few more test shots. Many of the "behind the scenes" pics are these. Now I will try a few more exposures to get ready for the yellows. By now most of the lasers have not been on for more than 3 to 5 minutes over the course of 15 mins. In these pics at this point since I have already gotten nicely exposed and focused photos, its time for the yellow. Everything is set and I will turn on 16 lasers (yellows last) and start shooting quickly for about 3 minutes at a time. I have done this so much it is second nature at this point. In that timeframe I can move that camera and tripod a few times and as the camera is moved, get a quick manual focus and depending on where the camera is in relation to the lasers, adjust my exposure accordingly. I then hurry to turn off the 589s, 583.5s, and 473s first and then the rest. Then I will analyze probably around 3-10 shots depending. If I am happy, I will move on. Over the 6 years I have been doing this I have lost only 5 lasers and two of them were repaired. Here are a few more "behind the scenes" pics. They are basically test shots at different stages as explained above. The last two are the first time I photographed in this house the day before the room was painted black.

DSC_1572_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_7428_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_9175_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1167_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_7309_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_7311_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for walking us through your set-up process, Bruce. :yh:

That was great, Bruce. I especially liked the fish eye lens photo for your setup leading out the door to the rest of the house. I imagine you would need to be fast to capture these DPSS lasers on with all the others before they max out and fail. Having a failure of a yellow would tend to put a crimp in your mood. :thanks:

Hi Paul, I have had a 589 die but ultimate Kaiser repaired it for me last year and it still works and is in these pics. The one looking into my basement is a test shot but still looks nice.

Wow Bruce. Your new pics are way too cool!! I’m in absolute awe of your artistry, skill and patience, to say nothing about your speed. You must’ve been running around the room llike crazy to keep all those lasers from melting down! IMHO you’re the Energizer Bunny of laser photography! :D Thanks for sharing your awesome work with all of us. Please Take Care.

-cd

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words cyberdoc! I have gotten pretty efficient at doing this. The worst part is sometimes I will get them all turned on and realize one beam is not aligned with the others, or the worse, getting all of the lasers on and then the one laser dims due to batteries and I have to hustle to turn everything off and change the batteries in the one. When everything runs smooth I have a blast photographing. But there are times when I have problems , or set ups don't photograph they way I had hoped and that is when I have to adapt on the fly.

YEAY! I was finally able to rep you for those awesome photos, Bruce. + Rep. :yh: