Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some Guidance on Lasers for measuring precision

Hey guys...

Think the laser bug is starting to bite... SO many projects that I would love to try... But for now I have some questions please...

I have posted on a CNC forum and have not had any replies and am starting to wonder if its beyond what most people there know about so...

I want to build a system that will be able to measure a machined component as it moves on a conveyer belt. (It can be made stationary for the actual measurement)
Accuracy to 0.01mm will be good enough
I've been looking into using a laser and camera for 3d digitizing and also laser interferometry
Distance to component - around 10cm
Most components are turned so are in diameter, ie will have to measure from both sides to get accurate sizes in diameter
Machined piece will have to be measured from both sides and the top

Questions:
1. What is the best and fastest way to measure a machined piece automatically?
2. What would be the highest accuracy I could get with laser triangulation?
3. Is there software that would be able to take the 3d model and show all sizes automatically then compare it with a masterfile as the pieces get scanned, then send custom data out? (Change CNC offsets)
4. If not, how difficult would it be to write up a program through VB for an intermediate programmer?
5. As far as I understand, each laser measuring system only measures the exact spot it is focused on, what would be the best way to measure the entire outline of a component? (moving laser or multiple lasers?)
6. Does anyone have any links of a DIY laser micrometer?
7. What is the maximum accuracy and reliability of triangulation and what factor affect resolution?

Thanks very much
Clauds

Last edited:

Hi Kevlar
Not exactly... I've read all the info on that link...
However after alot more research I am starting to see that using triangulation would suit my needs...
However I am finding it quite hard to find information on making a DIY triangulation precision measuring device...
If anyone has any links or know of any good books where I could learn more, I would be very grateful...

Thanks
Clauds