Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Soldering Pins

laser_freak said:
One more tip (I'll update my previous post)...

Never, ever, EVER use silver solder... It SUCKS for soldering LDs... The solder doesn't seem to flow at all.

I beg to differ - I use silver solder exclusively, and have never had an issue with it. I have even used the off-brand from some stores other than Radio Shack - but I prefer the super thin stuff that Radio Shack carries. I would suggest cleaning your soldering iron tip - or maybe even getting a different one ? NOT being mean, or whatever someone will obviously categorize this post as - but I am by no means a professional solderer {Wow ! That IS a word ! } and I have no issues using silver solder. It costs around $5.00 or so from Radio shack, and is 1.5 ounces of solder (I think).

**edit**

I see that the iron you recommend is a 48 Watt iron... I use a 60Watt adjustable (no cool display, though :( )

JLSE

SenKat_Stonetek said:
[quote author=laser_freak link=1213151476/12#13 date=1213576093]One more tip (I'll update my previous post)...

Never, ever, EVER use silver solder...  It SUCKS for soldering LDs...  The solder doesn't seem to flow at all.

I beg to differ - I use silver solder exclusively, and have never had an issue with it.  I have even used the off-brand from some stores other than Radio Shack - but I prefer the super thin stuff that Radio Shack carries.  I would suggest cleaning your soldering iron tip - or maybe even getting a different one ?  NOT being mean, or whatever someone will obviously categorize this post as - but I am by no means a professional solderer {Wow !  That IS a word ! } and I have no issues using silver solder.  It costs around $5.00 or so from Radio shack, and is 1.5 ounces of solder (I think).[/quote]

Are you reffering to the one they call silverbearing? If so I used this on the Dr. Lava boost drive for BR, and the only solder I use. With no problems here either.

wannaburn said:
[quote author=SenKat_Stonetek link=1213151476/12#16 date=1214602847][quote author=laser_freak link=1213151476/12#13 date=1213576093]One more tip (I'll update my previous post)...

Never, ever, EVER use silver solder... It SUCKS for soldering LDs... The solder doesn't seem to flow at all.

I beg to differ - I use silver solder exclusively, and have never had an issue with it. I have even used the off-brand from some stores other than Radio Shack - but I prefer the super thin stuff that Radio Shack carries. I would suggest cleaning your soldering iron tip - or maybe even getting a different one ? NOT being mean, or whatever someone will obviously categorize this post as - but I am by no means a professional solderer {Wow ! That IS a word ! } and I have no issues using silver solder. It costs around $5.00 or so from Radio shack, and is 1.5 ounces of solder (I think).[/quote]

Are you reffering to the one they call silverbearing? If so I used this on the Dr. Lava boost drive for BR, and the only solder I use. With no problems here either.[/quote]

Yup - am I incorrect in my thinking that silver solder and silver bearing solder are the same thing ? It "bears" silver....was my line of thinking, and that's what my dad calls it :p

JLSE

SenKat_Stonetek said:
[quote author=wannaburn link=1213151476/12#17 date=1214603155][quote author=SenKat_Stonetek link=1213151476/12#16 date=1214602847][quote author=laser_freak link=1213151476/12#13 date=1213576093]One more tip (I'll update my previous post)...

Never, ever, EVER use silver solder...  It SUCKS for soldering LDs...  The solder doesn't seem to flow at all.

I beg to differ - I use silver solder exclusively, and have never had an issue with it.  I have even used the off-brand from some stores other than Radio Shack - but I prefer the super thin stuff that Radio Shack carries.  I would suggest cleaning your soldering iron tip - or maybe even getting a different one ?  NOT being mean, or whatever someone will obviously categorize this post as - but I am by no means a professional solderer {Wow !  That IS a word ! } and I have no issues using silver solder.  It costs around $5.00 or so from Radio shack, and is 1.5 ounces of solder (I think).[/quote]

Are you reffering to the one they call silverbearing? If so I used this on the Dr. Lava boost drive for BR, and the only solder I use. With no problems here either.[/quote]

Yup - am I incorrect in my thinking that silver solder and silver bearing solder are the same thing ?  It "bears" silver....was my line of thinking, and that's what my dad calls it :p[/quote]

Likewise, its what I figured, but there are no percentage of contents with the one I get from the 'the source' ex-radio shack. Says it contains lead as well. I find as long as you brush with some paste it works just fine. And an unclean tip will not work well with it, using a wet sponge also aids with it.

i use silver solder for all of my projects and i have never had a problem
i use the same stuff as senkat ;) that stuff is the best imo
that is strange that you would experience any problems that

Mitch

the only thing I can think of is that silver solder usually contains no flux...

most people who think 60/40 rosin core works best have never tried applying flux beforehand.

I use the one that I can actually find at the time its needed I must have about 20 rolls hidden in various locations in my house garage den cave ect...............

JLSE

john_lawson said:
I use the one that I can actually find at the time its needed I must have about 20 rolls hidden in various locations in my house garage den cave ect...............

I usually find a new roll every couple of months. P00r short term memory and the never ending desire for more solder, land me a nice little easter egg once in a blue moon ::)

What do you guys think about coiling the solder around the pin and the wire beforehand so they stay in place and then lightly melting parts of the solder until it's all done? In my experience coiled solder doesn't transfer as much heat as straight solder.