Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Smoke machine effect on lasers?

Recently I purchased a small smoke machine to increase the effects of my laserpointers.
And it indeed works very good, even my 1mw red now has a visible beam.

But isn't this dense fog harmfull to the lasers (or other equipment)?
I'm using the liquid which was sold with the smoke machine.

Ace82

From what I've learned, it can be potentially dangerous to all electronics, depending on the density of the fog.  If you can't breathe, then the threat is greater.  If you can breathe easily, then there should be no problems.

Edit: I use incense, it works FANTASTIC for laser beams. And it last allot longer, it is very consistent (it fills every nook and cranny) and it smells nice! Click “see” and “sold” on my sig to see some of my beam shots using incense. It’s not as cool as a fog machine though.

diachi

I have noticed that depending on the type of smoke, it sometimes gets on the lenses on my lasers, but it's easy to clean off.

I use my smoke machine in my bedroom which has computers and tv and such in. I have heard that extremely dense fog will damage electronics, the area around my computer desk that I put the machine on is usually covered in a really thin substance, it feels like really fine powder but wipes off easily.

I have done this since I first got it and would recommend it to everyone if your using it in a small environment. Open a window as much as you can, any form of ventilation to keep fresh air flowing is good.

well really yeah its fog it has particles and it will get everywhere and something as sensitive as a laser will be effected. but a quick cleaning of the lenses will do wonders!

Mmm I'll be careful with it then,
The least I can do is to keep the door a little bit open for ventilation the smoke can be pretty dense sometimes, but it's based on water.

Maybe the use of the highest quality smokefluid helps to prevent damage.

I purchased a decent fogger off of ebay 680 watts. It puts out a lot of fog. One thing i did was not buy cheap fog juice. I use froggy's fog sold on ebay. Doesn't stink and I fogged my dorm room solid many times with no ventilation and there was no film to be found afterwords. I mean by solid that i couldn't see the walls from halfway across a small room. Oh and i have tons of electronics.

Micah