Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Smallest Pointer

I'm looking for some information about the smallest laser pointers availiable, or more precisely the internal parts of the laser required to make your own. Its for a uni project which involves putting a laser pointer inside a pen like object but space is important so I need to find the smallest laser mechanism I can to fit inside the pen.

So basically could anyone provide me with any information on this, ideally I'm looking for something that could be used up to about 15 - 20 metres with as little divergence as possible.

I have seen lasers that are down to about 5.6mmx9mm but from what I've read I don't think this is really what I need so I'm hoping some of you guys could help as I don't really know too much about this stuff.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

It's just because its for a University project where we have to design a pen like object with various functions, one of which is that it should have a laser pointer but I have to be able to justify sizes etc. I managed to find a laser diode module which was 4mm diameter by 8mm length so I would imagine there won't be much that you can get smaller than that?

Razako

I think you might be able to get a surface mount "chip" type laser if you look hard enough.

Switch

donsrno1 said:
It's just because its for a University project where we have to design a pen like object with various functions, one of which is that it should have a laser pointer but I have to be able to justify sizes etc.  I managed to find a laser diode module which was 4mm diameter by 8mm length so I would imagine there won't be much that you can get smaller than that?
4 by 8 mm?Are you sure?Power it wth tiny button cells, if battery lifetime isn't an issue.That could fit anywhere....any smaller than that and you would need a microscope to see it :D

For size... I think your best bet is a 6x12mm Aixiz module. Lens and diode in one with a driver on the back. Check it out http://mfgcn.com $4.50 one 6x12mm (or might be 8x12)

Shove 3 button cells on that and you're done.