Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sled Laser

Hello all,

I am just curious if I can build a driver and then attach it to the pins on a laser that is still in its slead and use the stock slead leans. Or is it imparitive to remove sled laser and install in a housing.

I dont really have the money for housings I just want to play around with set ups and everything with out breaking the bank cause im just starting to get into building lasers.

If I have to break down and get a housing ill see what i can do but if i can run it in the sled Ill mess around with in sled lasers first befor I go full throttle and start building them for mobile use. For now bench use is fine for me.

Thank you in andvance for any and all help,
TJ

Love the forums sofar!!

I don't see why not assuming you cut off the diode from the rest of the wires in the sled that run to it and just solder your driver onto the exposed pins.. Although I don't know how the lens in those sled's work I don't know if it would focus it at all.

The focal point most likely will be a few mm from the ouput lens. Anything further away will just look like a red light. Not that focused laser light your thinking off.

Zeebit

Yup, the lens's focal point will only be a few mm in front of it since that is where the optical disk is placed. The tiny heatsink might not be able to handle the heat if the diode is operated in continuous wave mode. These diodes are normally driven in pulsed mode.

I figured the focal point would be junk and there wouldn't be a whole lot of heat dissipation but I figured it would be a good starting point.

I figured the focal point would be junk and there wouldn't be a whole lot of heat dissipation but I figured it would be a good starting point.
If you've never built a laser before it's going to be harder fiddling around in a small sled soldering and de soldering stuff than it will be to just buy a diode and already pressed in a module.

any suggestions? I want something that if I accidentally burn it up I'm not gonna kickin me out. also having it out of the sled. would probably drop the man hours down.

I acctualy harvested a few DVD burner diodes and burnt them up running them with out driver and messing voltages.