Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sled diode identification help

I have just got another CD-RW drive and would really appreciate some advice.
The model is LTR-52327S, unit is made by LITE.ON CORP and the speed is
52x32x52x.
Can any one tell me if the diode would be suitable for using.

Morgan

Hey flyeruk,

It is only a CD rewriter so not likely to be anything of huge powers but, having said this, if you're not going to use it in your PC, then the experience of tearing it apart and harvesting any diodes in there will be valuable. Likely to be an IR diode in there and probably a weak red for reading.

Just be careful if you hook up the IR for obvious reasons. No information really as to suggested running so you may be quick to kill them but again, valuable experience gained by the end that'll give confidence when you splash out a few quid on an LOC, PHR or the like. (I am assuming your a UKer from the name but that may not be case. If so, then I can sort you out with diodes when you're ready)

Good luck and enter some feedback when you're done...

M
:)

Jaseth

Morgan is correct, the diodes inside are most likely a <5mW red for reading and a weak IR for rewriting.
You won't really find any diodes worth making a laser with in other sleds than those inside DVD or Blu-ray burners.
However, as Morgan also said, the harvesting itself will give you some experience for later.

Seb