Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Single AA driver for Blu Ray?

brtaman said:
[quote author=Snytbaggen link=1213207868/0#3 date=1213346762]I've heard that these have a boost circuit that gives the voltage a blu-ray diode needs. I have one on it's way here and will test how much current it puts out.

Hey snytbaggen,

have you had the chance to test yours out yet?

mine is on the way from dx, would be great to know the mW that the boost circuit is able to put out.

Thanks
brtaman
[/quote]

Unfortunately I haven't recieved it yet. :( It was sent on the 8th, so hopefullt it will arrive at the end of the next week. :D If it doesn't I don't have the opportunity to test it until the beginning of the next month since I'm off to a vacation in Turkey on the 22nd :D

C

carulli

That white board marker idea is cool lol. Would be good in aus scince lasers are banned, does the cap stil go on?

Glaserfan said:
The li-ion battery idea is a great one too:D Is there by chance a US source for these without the 2-week wait?
Google is your friend  ;)
( assuming you mean the battery's)

carulli said:
That white board marker idea is cool lol. Would be good in aus scince lasers are banned, does the cap stil go on?
I dont think it would be a good idea unless you ran at a low current. Plastic doesnt dissipate heat nearly as well as metals, and getting the circuitry( IE button and hooking the batterys up) would be very hard.

woop

Maelstrom said:
[quote author=carulli link=1213207868/12#17 date=1213394788]That white board marker idea is cool lol. Would be good in aus scince lasers are banned, does the cap stil go on?
I dont think it would be a good idea unless you ran at a low current. Plastic doesnt dissipate heat nearly as well as metals, and getting the circuitry( IE button and hooking the batterys up) would be very hard.[/quote]
its only a blueray :p i don't think heat dissipation is that big a deal.
main reason i chose it over a section of copper pipe is that it isn't conductive (i can't have the - of the battery touching the body of the laser with my driver)

as far as connecting contacts and stuff, hot glue is my friend.
j just ran the negative wire for the battery up with a wire, there is enough slack to remove the end to change the battery.
the end cap has a clicky switch and a spring hot glued in it.

and yes the cap does fit on, it had to be dremeled out though

Snytbaggen said:
[quote author=brtaman link=1213207868/12#12 date=1213385812][quote author=Snytbaggen link=1213207868/0#3 date=1213346762]I've heard that these have a boost circuit that gives the voltage a blu-ray diode needs. I have one on it's way here and will test how much current it puts out.

Hey snytbaggen,

mine is on the way from dx, would be great to know the mW that the boost circuit is able to put out.

Thanks
brtaman
[/quote]

Unfortunately I haven't recieved it yet. :( It was sent on the 8th, so hopefullt it will arrive at the end of the next week. :D If it doesn't I don't have the opportunity to test it until the beginning of the next month since I'm off to a vacation in Turkey on the 22nd :D[/quote]

Ahh, you went with the "slow mail" :D me 2 can't beat free shipping hehe

Please update in this thread or shoot me a PM, when you do get a chance to test (you'll probably get is before me anyway). enjoy Turkey, I loved the time I spent there, in which part of turkey you headed? If you get a chance (and are in the area) capadocia (i am pretty sure my spelling is way off), is a great place.

Thanks
brtaman

woop

i doubt the boost circuits in those torches would be sutable for a laser. the regulation in them isn't very good.
you could try using a linear regulator after the booster.

brtaman said:
[quote author=Snytbaggen link=1213207868/12#16 date=1213394508][quote author=brtaman link=1213207868/12#12 date=1213385812][quote author=Snytbaggen link=1213207868/0#3 date=1213346762]I've heard that these have a boost circuit that gives the voltage a blu-ray diode needs. I have one on it's way here and will test how much current it puts out.

Hey snytbaggen,

Thanks
brtaman
[/quote]

Unfortunately I haven't recieved it yet. :( It was sent on the 8th, so hopefullt it will arrive at the end of the next week. :D If it doesn't I don't have the opportunity to test it until the beginning of the next month since I'm off to a vacation in Turkey on the 22nd :D[/quote]

Please update in this thread or shoot me a PM, when you do get a chance to test (you'll probably get is before me anyway). enjoy Turkey, I loved the time I spent there, in which part of turkey you headed? If you get a chance (and are in the area) capadocia (i am pretty sure my spelling is way off), is a great place.

Thanks
brtaman
[/quote]

Okay, so I recieved the flashlight and has done some testing. I must have done something wrong, since I got weird readings, but I can't figure out what I did wrong. I measured the output across the diode with two different multimeters, and got ~1V DC on both. However, I tried measuring AC with one of th emultimeters, and got ~2V. :S Some people here have mentioned putting a cap in series with the diode would give a better reading, but I have yet to do so.

I'm heading to Alanya, which area is that capadocia in?

woop said:
i doubt the boost circuits in those torches would be sutable for a laser. the regulation in them isn't very good.
you could try using a linear regulator after the booster.

Yeah, I thought the same. A lavadrive and a 3.7V 14500 rechargable battery would be way better.

woop

if you are getting a reading of AC that means the driver is pulsing to drive the LED. this isn't good for lasers.
if you want a driver that runs off a AA look around the experiments and modifications section. I have made one for the xbox hd-dvd diode and am working on one for other lasers
also its smaller than the lavadrive

Snytbaggen said:
[quote author=brtaman link=1213207868/12#21 date=1214002060][quote author=Snytbaggen link=1213207868/12#16 date=1213394508][quote author=brtaman link=1213207868/12#12 date=1213385812][quote author=Snytbaggen link=1213207868/0#3 date=1213346762]I've heard that these have a boost circuit that gives the voltage a blu-ray diode needs. I have one on it's way here and will test how much current it puts out.

Hey snytbaggen,

Thanks
brtaman
[/quote]

Thanks
brtaman
[/quote]

Okay, so I recieved the flashlight and has done some testing. I must have done something wrong, since I got weird readings, but I can't figure out what I did wrong. I measured the output across the diode with two different multimeters, and got ~1V DC on both. However, I tried measuring AC with one of th emultimeters, and got ~2V. :S Some people here have mentioned putting a cap in series with the diode would give a better reading, but I have yet to do so.

I'm heading to Alanya, which area is that capadocia in?[/quote]

Youre actually going to be pretty close to where I was in the area of Antalya, but Alanya is also in the antalya province. So the hotel where you will be staying will probably be offering trips to Capadocia. It really is a beatiful place, especially for me, as I also like to go to places that shoot you back into the past, if you like history and just going to semi-mystical places then I would go. But be warned it is a hell of a bus ride, I dont remember how many hourse, but it was a 3 days trip (hotel inthe capadocia area), but its a small extra adventure, that is unless your going there just to relax on the beach :p, which is also a great idea.

Here is a brief preview, but the pictures dont do it justice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia

Looking at the map no wonder the bus ride took so long :D

thanks
brtaman