Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Simple Sharp 405 Build

20210524_110521.jpg

You may recognize Survival Laser's stainless steel host. I have a bunch of them. They are great for beginners low power diode builds as is the S4X for higher powered diode builds.

The only thing as I have mentioned before is I prefer to separate diodes from drivers by connectors to make trouble shooting and replacement easier.

To accomplish that I need to use the center section (top middle) which has room for the wires and connectors.

Lifetime17, as always came to the rescue with this rather imaginative yet simple solution which can be seen in the bottom. It is a small heat sink designed to hold a 12 mm module in a manner unlike the copper heat sinks that were designed for it, allows room in the middle section for the wire and connectors.

At the suggestion of Lifetime17, I am using an Astral driver. It is set to about 1.7 amps yielding interestingly 1.75 W of optical power. At the moment I have a G2 lens but I will probably stick a G8 on it.

Hopefully, I can say bye bye to the old BDR. I have one of them left sitting in a 12 mm module. The original driver met an untimely death.
The finished build is below.
20210524_112658.jpg

But no pics of the unit in operation? What have we done to deserve this?? ;)

But no pics of the unit in operation? What have we done to deserve this?? ;)
Ha. Ha. I wondered if someone would slask. The reason I don't is one, that many others have done beam shots so I did not see the need. I mean, they are pretty much the same depending lens choice. 2 it is not a particularly bright, easy to photograph beam. I have a fog machine which I never used!