Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Simple DIY 337nm laser from air! (TEA nitrogen laser)

The TEA nitrogen laser was one of the very first DIY laser designs to be built by many hobbyists around the world. Scientific American published plans for a simple N2 laser in the 1970s, and since then there have been many other iterations by hobbyists. This is a very easy build that I recommend for anybody wanting to experiment with a UV laser beam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1psxE4NlECQ

Nice video, styropyro. I've seen these N2 lasers many times before this video, but it was still worth the watch. :thanks:

i actually made one of these a while ago before i totally broke some sort of electrical thing in the house which caused power to be cut to the entire upstairs lmfao! ill probably try making another one sometime soon when i can take a more professional approach and maybe make a safer design for both me and the house :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Cool, looks like a fun project to try, Styro, thanks for making and sharing this video with us! :D
:gj:

Always wanted to build one, but I'm fairly certain no matter the precautions I take Ill somehow end up tasing myself and ending up on the floor twitching. :D

Always wanted to build one, but I'm fairly certain no matter the precautions I take Ill somehow end up tasing myself and ending up on the floor twitching. :D

LMAO. Same. Or i'd drive everyone crazy with the popping from the sparks. (myself included) :crackup:

Anthony P

The N2 laser power supply probably won't really hurt you... but it will make you spit out your chewing gum.
I did a N2 last year similar to sci am. I added uv enhanced concave mirror at what you might call the HR end with a 20" fl. At the output I added a quartz cylinder lens 2" fl to focus on a small 1" dye cell. Rhodamine 590 worked fantastic. coumarin also worked but less intense. A convex collimating lens is necessary on dye cell output. The dye cell seemed to work best without resonator mirrors.