Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

sigh...

ixfd64

Well, someone in my residence hall burned some popcorn and triggered the fire alarm, so we all had to go outside. I figured that I might as well use this opportunity to show off my laser. At one point, some girls thought my laser was cool and one of them mentioned that it would be useful for pointing out constellations, and I told her that "starpointing" was indeed a popular use for these lasers. Just then, an airplane showed up, so I put my laser away to avoid any chance of hitting it by accident... and then one of the girls said that I should point my laser at the airplane.

What on planet Earth?

I thought that students at the University of California, Berkeley would be smart enough not to point lasers at airplanes, but boy, I was wrong. No wonder there are so many incidents involving aircraft and lasers.

I'm sorry for placing my soapbox here; I'll put it away right now.

You should of shined the laser right into the eyes of that stupid girl who suggested that, then said that's what would of happened to the pilot. And then gone on to explain a blinded pilot will crash.

Since she would now be blinded, she would be able to understand.

I would've firmly put my finger/thumb OFF the button and yell "POW!" and move the unit at her face pretending to flash her, then go 'yeah that's what happens to the pilot'

Were they hot? If they were, maybe you should've taken down that plane in the name of poontang =D

Switch

Some people can't imagine that pointing a laser at a plane can do any damage , and have no knowledge of this fact.After all, it took us a lot of discussing , and those idiots a lot of doing what they do best, being idiots, to arrive to the conclusion that it's clearly a bad thing. ::)You should've just told her that it's a bad idea and explain what was going on in Australia just because of people doing that. :p No need to chop her head off....

Ace82

You should have just enlightened her. I always do that, and if I EVER let another person hold my laser, I watch them very closely and first tell them not to shine at aircrafts, even if I already told them before. There has been a couple accessions where I had to tell them to give it back because I clearly saw they were doing no good with it. These people live in a different realm then us, they probably didn’t even know that lasers (other then the crap red key chains) exist. If you would have told her that people go to jail for up to 14 years for a terrorist act for doing that, she probably would have understood then. It is really unfortunate that most people who do this crime aren’t even aware of the severity of it.