Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Side clickies have their disadvantages.......

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Well darn. My EDC, (PLP520-B1), has died a thermal death. My wife and I were trying to figure out where the smell of burning paper was coming from on Sunday. I now understand it was from my jacket. My poor laser got stuck on (again) and I had the good (NiZn) batteries in it. Darn near lit my checkbook on fire.

Oh Jordan, may I have a 488 diode please? (order already sent)

gazer101

and that's why you make a case that holds your batteries away from your laser (glasses cases work well):

IMG_0090.JPG

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Appreciate the friendly advice gazer, but ...not going to happen. I want my EDC laser in my pocket ready to shine at a moments notice. I may try to fashion some kind of safety though.

I do keep my higher power toys stored more...formally. But my EDC laser will always have a bit of a rough life.

I was bored with green anyway ;-) I'll replace the diode with a 488nm sharp. The driver is fine so it should be a quick swap. I'll just need to bump the current down a bit.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Ah geez that sucks. Yeah side clickies are great in the hand but horrible in the pocket. See if you can get a safety switch on the tailcap. Best of both worlds I would think

Philipnzw

Personally I've never owned a side clicky switch laser but I can see why it can be toggled on by accident. Like Dud445 said, it would be better if you can modify the host to accept a tail switch. Side clicky + tail switch combo should help improve safety as well.

488nm is a really sweet colour, I have a 14500 sized host with a 488 and it makes for a really excellent EDC. Hope you enjoy your 488 diode as much as I do when it reaches you.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The 488 diode arrived today. Record quick shipping. Thanks Jordan!