Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

shutting off street light

i heard some rumors about shining a laser at a streetlight and it will shut off? does this really work?

Things

yes ti does, although you have to snine the laser ontop of the light for it to work. so if you are in a building taller than the streetlight, and can get it on the sensor, yes it would work. if not, then they must use a different system! ;)

i do it a lot on my street, but its weird, it seems as though every streetlight is different. some stay off for a while, and some just flicker when the laser goes near. and of course streetlights are different in every town, so it depends. but on my street, most of them are really easy to turn off, even from the ground, and not in a building, and they also stay off for like 5 minutes!

its good for making everything dark so you can see the beam better, and the stars.

but i wouldnt recomend this on busy streets, could be dangerous.

Daedal

;D @ TL

Man... you lucky bastards... In Florida here we have no street lights either way! The majority of Florida is committed to preserving the 'wild life' and so lights would disturb the peace of the wilderness... lol

Half of our streets have no street lights... It's ridiculous! The roads are not all that good either mind you... so you gotta be on edge because deer are suicidal, armadillos are slow, turtles will kill you, pigs will cost you out the nose, people just don't look before they cross... and you gotta make sure where the 50 holes on this road are so you don't break you axle twice on each one...

BUT... on the other hand... my laser is very visible at night... ALWAYS... ;D

--DDL

i'll trade you, in Az every other street light is a different color. i've got white, blue, amber, damn near brown, yellow and god knows what else.

It's a little strange. Not all the street lights in my area will shut off, and the ones that do must be deactivated from the north.