Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should I not be doing this? BDR-209

Hi guys,

I've burned out 2 BDR-209 laser modules that I bought from DTR's laser shop and I'm trying to figure out why.

Since the driver doesn't seem to have ability to use a TTL signal, I'm just supplying a constant +8.5V to the driver and pulsing the ground to achieve TTL. Is it possible that this is killing my module? It seems to last for about 7 or 8 hours and then goes dead. This has happened twice.

I have it cooled nicely by a fan and in a nice big heatskink. It's not getting hot by any means. Like I said, I'm using +8.5V to the driver. Current is set at 550mA.

See pics for some extra reference.

Thank you

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200714_222929.jpg
    IMG_20200714_222929.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 18

jnrpop

Hi guys,

I've burned out 2 BDR-209 laser modules that I bought from DTR's laser shop and I'm trying to figure out why.

Since the driver doesn't seem to have ability to use a TTL signal, I'm just supplying a constant +8.5V to the driver and pulsing the ground to achieve TTL. Is it possible that this is killing my module? It seems to last for about 7 or 8 hours and then goes dead. This has happened twice.

I have it cooled nicely by a fan and in a nice big heatskink. It's not getting hot by any means. Like I said, I'm using +8.5V to the driver. Current is set at 550mA.

See pics for some extra reference.

Thank you

I would assume so.
These BDR diodes are well known to be alittle more sensitive and temperamental compared to the blues and reds.
They dont like current or voltage spikes at all, and you mentioned your pulsing the ground, meaning the driver is turning completely on/off quite frequently, hence more likely your BDR is absorbing those little voltage spikes.
Even though these drivers from x-wosse are brilliant, nothings perfect.
True ttl drivers regulate the output internally and not via a true state of on/off

Perhaps another member who fiddles with TTL can chime in too and expand.

J:coffee:

Drivers aren't typically tested to withstand brownout operation. If the frequency is a under 5Hz or so it probably won't matter, but it can get hairy above this. For instance, if power is reapplied while the IC is still undergoing its shutdown process from your last falling edge, states are undefined and this can fux yer day.

tl;dr: don't do that.

BDR-209's are very delicate. They blow up for no apparent reason a lot of the time. Transient voltage spikes may play a factor in this as well. I've had X-Wossee drivers blow up these and the 488nm diodes very quickly.

Thanks for all your replies guys. Is there any way of safely driving a BDR-209 safely with TTL that you can recommend?

Giannis_TDM

BDR-209's are very delicate. They blow up for no apparent reason a lot of the time. Transient voltage spikes may play a factor in this as well. I've had X-Wossee drivers blow up these and the 488nm diodes very quickly.
Wierd, My acs500se driver has no issues driving my 481.

Wierd, My acs500se driver has no issues driving my 481.
It's not every driver. Some work just fine then some blow them up. It took me a few diodes to realize it. I don't really know how to determine which ones are bad and which ones aren't.

Giannis_TDM

It's not every driver. Some work just fine then some blow them up. It took me a few diodes to realize it. I don't really know how to determine which ones are bad and which ones aren't.
You should hit up X-wosse btw tbh that short of inconsistency doesn't make much sense. Are you sure that they were packed properly and had no esd damage? (Refrearing to the drivers that blew up the diodes) Also that reminds me, My brand new LDSE500 actually blew my 488 like a year ago maybey only the LDSE ones have this issue?

You should hit up X-wosse btw tbh that short of inconsistency doesn't make much sense. Are you sure that they were packed properly and had no esd damage? (Refrearing to the drivers that blew up the diodes) Also that reminds me, My brand new LDSE500 actually blew my 488 like a year ago maybey only the LDSE ones have this issue?
I buy and sell a lot of the X-Wossee drivers. There is currently a shortage on drivers and I'm not sure when more will be shipping yet. I will certainly bring this up with him. The drivers I've had the problems with are the ACS4500 and ACS5500 which are both buck drivers.

Giannis_TDM

I buy and sell a lot of the X-Wossee drivers. There is currently a shortage on drivers and I'm not sure when more will be shipping yet. I will certainly bring this up with him. The drivers I've had the problems with are the ACS4500 and ACS5500 which are both buck drivers.
Oh do you have some spare ACS500SE ones? If you do please tell me the price and also do you happen to know of any sources for the m462 462nm 5.6mm 2w diode?

I have a 500 driving a 638nm @ about 250ma and it's thermally bonded to my heat sink, but after a couple of minutes running in boost ( 1 cell ) it will blink out ( battery is fine/charged ) I shut it off and count to 3 and it's good for a couple more minutes, but switching to buck ( 2 cells ) it runs fine without fail.......anyone else seen this ?

Giannis_TDM

I have a 500 driving a 638nm @ about 250ma and it's thermally bonded to my heat sink, but after a couple of minutes running in boost ( 1 cell ) it will blink out ( battery is fine/charged ) I shut it off and count to 3 and it's good for a couple more minutes, but switching to buck ( 2 cells ) it runs fine without fail.......anyone else seen this ?
No I really haven't, my 481 only does this when it's battery is fully discharged so no probs with the boost function there and my 638 uses the same driver in buck and it also doesn't have any problems. Are you using the LDSE500 or the ACS500SE?

LDSE500 however this is the 1st one that I have had any problem with.......that said the LDSE500 has a low voltage lockout which should not have been an issue as my battery was a good quality 18650 and no where near discharged.....maybe because I am driving a red diode, yep it would actually have been bucking on one cell and the minimum 1V differential may be the reason, anyway going to 2 cells solved it.

Last edited: