Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Shooting down flies with laser?

Jaxz

sure thanks for suggestion, I am living in housing estates so no chance of getting near to country side easily. But I know a place where I can try my Spartan.:wave:

Benm

Are people really worried about being cruel to flies, and wasps?

I'm not - mosquitos, bees and wasps don't seem overly concerned with my wellbeing either... zap the buggers!

As for the 1W 445: I havent tried that, but perhaps that would kill them instantly as well. Be careful what you hit while chasing after bugs with those, would be to bad if you have your house covered in burnmarks from near misses :D

Electric rackets really are a better way to kill bugs.

Probably the best way to do it with a laser would be with a quick computer tracking system and a laser of a wavelength readily absorbed by flying insects. If the system is also advanced enough to measure how far away a bug is, then it could focus the laser on to it. If it was powerful enough, there'd be very little bug left to hit the ground :)

Laserbran

well... I have had some experience with wasps, not a fly specifically. I found that it was relatively easy to take the wasp out of the sky, but it did not die very fast as it kept moving out of the beam.

So it's not really a practical solution for shooting down flies and I felt kinda bad that the wasp lived as long as it did when I was trying to kill it. You're better off with a fly swatter IMO. Using the laser just seems to be overly cruel as it just isn't fast enough.

I was going to say, if you can shoot a fly out of the air with a laser you are a master laser wielder. But yeah...kinda borderline sociopath if you like killing insects with lasers...

Basho

Here it's autumn and the fly-session is over. But I have wondered if it's possible to shoot down the flies with the laser. I shot one with my green laser, but it just wandered around in the sky, and I thougt that was painful for it, bacause it maybe got blind, and thats not my purpose. But with the blue one I may could kill it directly?

Any experience of this?

Nope fĺies are fully laser proof!!! I can tell u how uber silly far away we are from laserkilling them rofl!!! My main trick to get insect business done quickly no matter what it is that is annoyingly flying around like random careless renegade motherfuckers... take a bottle of deodorant and a lighter! The nice thing about it is that practically any roboticbuzzer only needs to be around the flame!!! Ive been really surprised how easily wasps mosquitos bees and everything within 20cm distance of the flame is going kamikaze to the floor! They are unharmed and in fine condition , its only the wings of all those assholes that are so weak and burn from half a meter from where my flame ended and still their fragile flappers are smoked well enough to have the shit 50% + vaporised. And thats 50% to much for them to fly and without the mutant powers of flight its a helpless squirming pile of bad news fresh on my newspaper!!! BUT!!!!!! Aaaaarrrgh !?!?!! Grrrr ... Flies... they have the deodorant flame insect nuke weapon owned like their in fuckn Godmode! Dont waste your time! My flies are to begin with so tame from being inside my weed greenhouse and SERIOUSLY NOT A JOKE they are so high chronicly that most can be petted like stroking your cat/dog.... i was at the point after few misshits at maybe 10cm max removed from a whole local hotspot of chillin fly bastards! Flame is now on
... yessss there still al sitting at the same spot!!! Compare to all my simular situations with only all kinda diffrnt insects i was sure this would be fly genocide mayhem ready to happen!!!! I press the bottle fully and it was a direct hit with never a better shot by far!!! Every succes to that point was pure victory with at best half the arsenal unleashed rofl!!!! But hey WWWWTTTTFFFFF ?!?!?!? the whole gang was not even doing the cripp walk by 1 specimen.... WOW... then i knew for god damn sure they were immortal in having risk of dying due to this nuclear weapon to the whole club of counterpart cancer insects.... And yeah with the strong 3watt + lasers its pretty hopeless getting ANY insect easily victimised ! Even spiders ive seen running away more quickly ive ever seen doing lolz. But that is mainly a capability that pwns big boys lasery epicness... BAM yaw! Hahahaha