Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Shipping Lasers - Do you need ESD Protection?

Hello there everyone , now I understand that lasers are sensitive components and the diodes and the PCB components could easily be damaged by ESD or power surges .

Now I've seen people ship motherboards and computer components in an anti-static bag , what I'm curious about is , is it necessary to do the same when you ship lasers ?

I mean... getting an anti-static bag isn't exactly the easiest job in the world when you just need ONE of them. I see some sellers on eBay selling them at $10 for 10pcs ...but I only need 1.

I was wondering.... would it be possible if I de-static the laser first.
De-static the zip-lock bag I'm going to put the laser into.
And then wrap the entire thing in aluminium foil .... would that work?

I mean.. my logic goes.... I grounded the laser and the plastic bag... so there shouldn't be any potential difference....
And then aluminium foil would then act as a sort of.... pseudo Faraday Cage of sort that prevents the build up on static charge.

Would this idea work?

ZipLock.jpg
+
20140402101341.jpg

=
metal-esd-bag.gif

Last edited:

Yes that will work fine. You really don't have to worry about it at all with a complete laser. Only when shipping a bare diode or some drivers is an anti-static bag necessary.

Alan