Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Semi-common Objects That Contain Gas Lasers

Helios

I have been searching my local craigslist for old laserdisc players hoping to score a HeNe tube and PSU and I was curious what other things I should be searching for as well. I am not limiting my interest to HeNe tubes but obviously DNA sequencers dont show up on a local craigslist very often so im hoping there is other common items that contain various gas lasers.

What else is there?

Last edited:

Some old, old, old arcade games used laserdisc players that used HeNes. Old checkout barcode scanners used HeNes. Some of the handheld barcode scanners used very small HeNes. All I can think of for now.

Edit: Those arcade games I mentioned. Only two of them actually used laserdisk players. (Two of the games the console was made for, not only two arcades total)

Last edited:

Trevor

Some older copiers had argon lasers in them, but those are high end and absurdly large. :p

-Trevor

Some old, old, old arcade games used laserdisc players that used HeNes. Old checkout barcode scanners used HeNes. Some of the handheld barcode scanners used very small HeNes. All I can think of for now.

Edit: Those arcade games I mentioned. Only two of them actually used laserdisk players. (Two of the games the console was made for, not only two arcades total)

Yes. Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. The player used special laser discs where one side of the disc was made of aluminum to stand the high heat.

Helios

Do all laser disk players contain henes??

No I read that pretty much all laserdiscs made pre 1984 do though. Since the majority were made after that most laserdiscs use a diode. Not sure what the diode is though now that I mention it.

EDIT: just checked and it looks like 780nm

Last edited:
Wow. Looks like it's next to impossible to find old barcode scanners on flebay that have HeNe tubes in them.

Helios

I found an old laserdisc player that I think has an HeNe. Anyone know what the laser itself is worth? Or how many mW it will likely be? Obviously quite low and im assuming not worth much I just want to make sure I dont pay $30 for a $8 laser or something.

If you're looking on ebay the old Sony ones currently listed are diode based. The only LDP I found that I know has a HeNe the seller wants 100 bucks for. No thanks.

Helios

I found one for $25 locally but I found info on it and its a diode model. I have two HeNes coming in the next few days so im not sure why I am even looking but I can already tell im going to be collecting gas lasers.

Heh. They're fun. My only HeNe tube is sealed in a head so I can't see the plasma which is why I've been hunting for a cheap, small tube.

The players used in the old laserdisc arcade games are worth much more working than the laser they contain. Usually the tubes are well used and tired if they still work at all, and even good ones are not very interesting, typically 1-3mW red.

I recently picked up an old Intermec handheld barcode scanner, the sort that resembles a handgun. It contained a .5mW red HeNe tube typical of this sort of thing, and again not terribly interesting. Sam Goldwasser has similar tubes that he sells for under $10.

Honestly there is not much you are likely to find on CL that contains HeNe lasers. They have been replaced by diodes in everything consumer oriented since about the early 90s and are only found in rather specialized applications today.

Interesting info. I know most HeNe's are only a few mw (my green is 2) but I'd still like a small bare tube just for the "coolness factor."

I looked at the tubes you mentioned and that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I have no idea which of the many PSU's he sells would work with it since I doubt my HeNE's would. 110v would be awesome but I have several 12v supplies I'm sure I could adapt to use with one and if all else fails that's what my bench supply is for.

Ask him. Sam is *THE* guy to go to with laser needs, unless you can find a deal on a complete system on ebay. He can tell you what will work with what, and if he doesn't have the parts you need, he can tell you what to look for.

120V power supplies are nice, but the 12V ones are easy enough to make work, and tend to be a bit cheaper.