Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scorpius

Arayan

Since I did not find any review, I wanted to know if anyone has (or has used) the Scorpius models by Laserglow and, in particular, if them can be used for "thermal experiments" (such as the sublimation of liquid substances) or, more in general, for cutting.

:thanks:

Arayan

I'm sorry I cannot answer your question. However, I have a Scorpious-D available (<800mW; 808nm). If it will work for you, we can work out a deal.

http://www.laserglow.com/GSD#

Peace,
dave

Thanks Dave, when I'll discovered if it may be useful for me I will certainly consider your offering :)

EDIT: BTW could you explain me the burning proprieties of your scorpius :D

Last edited:

Arayan

I'm sorry I cannot answer your question. However, I have a Scorpious-D available (<800mW; 808nm). If it will work for you, we can work out a deal.

http://www.laserglow.com/GSD#

Peace,
dave

I discovered that, for these purposes, is most suitable the model of Scorpius at 1064nm... have you, by chance, one even at this wavelength? :)

Justin

The Scorpius is great for thermal experimentation as long as your target material will absorb this wavelength. The 1064 nm version has a much more concentrated beam so you will have an easier time burning and cutting things, but there's something to be said for having 2000 mW of 808 nm in your hand. It really depends on what you're trying to achieve. For liquid evaporation I would be most concerned with the absorption spectra of the liquid in question.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't sublimation a solid-to-gas phase transition? What's "liquid sublimation"?)

Arayan

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't sublimation a solid-to-gas phase transition? What's "liquid sublimation"?)

Yes, the first meaning for the term sublimation is reported to a transition of a substance from the solid to gas phase with no intermediate liquid stage, but is sometimes used "friendly" by chemists to refer to a rapid generation of plasma from a liquid or other materials :)
BTW I spoke with a very kind person of Laserglow Technical Sales Executive who gave me good informations ;)

Justin

Oh, I see. So it's when you move to a higher-energy phase of matter but you skip a step. So, solid-to-liquid, liquid-to-plasma, gas to.... (what comes next, a big ball of higher-dimensional strings?)

Haha, maybe when we manage to generate higher energies we'll have to describe a new phase of matter called "stringballs". ;)

Thanks for the info!