Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SBO37LH32, sold as 1500mW 405nm

JP-dk

I recently bought an unbranded laser cutter from banggood, advertised to have "1500mW laser power"

I measured the current draw to 200mA, but did't measure the voltage - the module has "5V" written on it.
I did a crude power measurement by heating a soot-covered coin (5 Eurocent coin; cp = 0.49 J∙g⁻¹∙K⁻¹, mass = 3.92g) for 5 mins at full laser power. The temperature rise was 3.8 deg C.

Using P = (ΔT * cₚ * m) / t , the calculated output power is 0.021W

photoresistive dry film illumnation is not possible, because the laser is always on in this design, so i want to convert to GRBL - so i have to make my own PWM driver.

As a precaution, and not to roast the diode, my question is:

the laser diode is marked "SBO37LH32" on the top of the cap.
I'm looking for a datasheet for the laser diode.

Attachments

• laser-diode.png
    laser-diode.png
    485.2 KB · Views: 10
  • lasermodule.png
    lasermodule.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

That diode looks like a Sharp as the number around the diode's window is what they use to mark iterations of manufacturing. The Vf of 405nm diodes is fairly high, but 200 mA isn't even close to what a driver for a 1500 mW diode should be pulling. Most of the used power is dissipated as heat because laser diodes aren't efficient past 50% and most of those are IR. The rest of your calculations are superfluous and unnecessary.