Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Say I wanted a POWERFUL laser...

Rasel

Aseras said:
If you are gonna fork over the cash for a high power laser why run it lower? :)
Eh... I'll pop it in my homemade spirograph.

On the lowest power, how long do you think I could run it?

Jack, thank you for answering all of my questions even more than enough instead of picking a few out of the bunch and answering them how you like :D. For some reason, I had the idea that you were bad... this is probably because I associated Jack and Optotronics with banned (since the LC incedent) and figured you were to be avoided. ;D

IDEA! Put some sort of indicator that tells you that you have around 15 seconds to turn off the laser before it overheats itself.

Aseras

On 3 or less ( again 3 is ~160mw ) I can run my rpl till the battery goes dead. The longest I've run mine is well over and hour, close to two hours. I was using it as a night light in my office :) It didn;t go dead, I just had to go to bed and turned it off. it was quite warm though.

Rasel said:
[quote author=Aseras link=1190165043/45#47 date=1190235534]If you are gonna fork over the cash for a high power laser why run it lower? :)
Eh... I'll pop it in my homemade spirograph.

On the lowest power, how long do you think I could run it?

Jack, thank you for answering all of my questions even more than enough instead of picking a few out of the bunch and answering them how you like :D. For some reason, I had the idea that you were bad... this is probably because I associated Jack and Optotronics with banned (since the LC incedent) and figured you were to be avoided. ;D

IDEA! Put some sort of indicator that tells you that you have around 15 seconds to turn off the laser before it overheats itself.[/quote]

Hi resal,
Your welcome.
the current level have a kind of "detent", so you can feel where each level is as turning the switch.
No worries about overheating the diode unless you were to use it in a very hot place for an extended time. This is because the 2.5 Watt IR diode is rated for a sustained operating current of 2.5 Amps and even at current level 9 (which is way over saturating the diode) the max allowed current is 2.0 Amps, so the RPL never operates beyond 80% of it's rated ability.

Don't try to get banned at LC, unless you really want to and want to tell them and their policies off; nobody around here will think any less of you.

Jack

Aseras

here's some tailcap pics

tailcap.jpg

tailcap2.jpg

I'm going to add the rest of the new pics I took tonight to the rpl review thread here: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1189615133

Rasel

Whats that lil knob thing on the front? That is the front right? lol

Attachments

• laserhead.gif
    laserhead.gif
    15 KB · Views: 96

Aseras

That opens and closes the aperture

aperture shutter, no open = no beam. Safety ++
aperture.jpg

Rasel

Ha I'm liking this laser more and more...

Seems like you can take off the entire aperture cap too! That's great!

I never like to clean my lasers' lenses but if I need to, that will be awesome.