Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu shipments delayed due to politics.

Laserbran

Hiya guys I'm new here. I ordered a much sought after 7w 445 nm striker from sanwu lasers. That was on 8.14.19. I received an email after asking about the shipment two days ago, it is 8.27.19. They kindly replied that due to the political turmoil and protests in Hong Kong they had to suspend all orders until further notice. They said they would look in their warehouse for a 7w striker 445ch blue for me but builds were postponed due to worker protests. On 8.25.19 they said their striker 7w 445 nm was available again worldwide but I have not heard from them since about shipment. Like I told them im patient but should I be worried about not getting the striker at all? It's a dream to own one and I put the funds aside specially for it.

Laserbran

Update, striker 7w 445 on its way but they could only send the multimode. Anyone on here experienced with the maximum output of the mulitmode? I posted on here in more detail about this...very excited and will let everyone know how it goes! Thanks guys!

Update, striker 7w 445 on its way but they could only send the multimode. Anyone on here experienced with the maximum output of the mulitmode? I posted on here in more detail about this...very excited and will let everyone know how it goes! Thanks guys!
As I recall, multi mode refers to the operating modes of the switch.

ObliviTech

Here is what I can tell you having owned a 7watt 445nm striker multimode. The 7 watt is prone to failure as it is not fully proven or refined as of yet. The multimode is in the diode module not the switch, it is a charge sense funtion the requires learning what a half press of a button feels like. The first challenge will be unlocking the safe mode with I think it was 5 half presses in a few seconds, I sent back the module when it failed and went with single function 5 watt module for the ease of ues and better reliability.

The 7 watt has significant divergence and is very hard to focus into a fine point, even with the beam expander. I also really hope you got the eagle OD 6 googles or I will suggest not using the laser at all untill you get laser googles rated for a frequency range that included 445 nm(they will most likely be orange). The batteries may arrive before the laser from a different shipper due to laws about li-ion batteries of larger capacity on planes, look for a box from orb.

Hope you get and enjoy your laser, it requires 2 battery units which had to be requested in ordering and a dual charger they offer is also a good idea. They plan to add carrying cases at a future date. Lastly, I want to say these are not toys by any means and they will cause horrible ocular damage both directly and via reflection. Never point at the sky, never point at people, never point at windowd, basically never point at anything you do not want to harm...well at least till you fully understand the power and focal control.

That is all I can recall, things in Hong Kong have devolved horribly of late (Riots and Fires).

ObliviTech

Irrelevant Post:

Encap and Steve, you two really get around the forums I notice. I wanted to mention something about lasers for self defense without NecroPosting. It is relevant to the current members of this conversation as all three of you were present in some capacity. The federal ruling on lasers over 5mw is that they are strictly illegal and not to draw attention to yourself if you have them. So, it can be concluded that using them in any manner that might result I law enforcement involvement would be very very bad for the owner. Here in Ga we are told that law enforcement would rather us shoot and kill an intruder or follow legal guidelines for issues outside of the home.

An extenuated circumstance that might allow the use of a high power laser to defend yourself could be in the case of life or death. I personally have the 800mw pocket laser from sanwu and a tap gun (single shot tube and ring .38) I carry both everywhere encase something wrong occurs. They are intended to be used in tandem is all I will say on that. But again I am in the south and it is strictly frowned upon to cross each other here.

Again, This was an Off Topic Post.

Encap

Irrelevant Post:
You got that part ^^^ right.

You don't know what you are talking about. Spare everyone the misinformation + song and dance.
In the U.S., it is legal under federal law to own a laser of any power.
Everyone is free to own a laser over 5mW, nothing illegal about same.

Double posting on LPF is a no no as well

Last edited:

Laserbran

Here is what I can tell you having owned a 7watt 445nm striker multimode. The 7 watt is prone to failure as it is not fully proven or refined as of yet. The multimode is in the diode module not the switch, it is a charge sense funtion the requires learning what a half press of a button feels like. The first challenge will be unlocking the safe mode with I think it was 5 half presses in a few seconds, I sent back the module when it failed and went with single function 5 watt module for the ease of ues and better reliability.

The 7 watt has significant divergence and is very hard to focus into a fine point, even with the beam expander. I also really hope you got the eagle OD 6 googles or I will suggest not using the laser at all untill you get laser googles rated for a frequency range that included 445 nm(they will most likely be orange). The batteries may arrive before the laser from a different shipper due to laws about li-ion batteries of larger capacity on planes, look for a box from orb.

Hope you get and enjoy your laser, it requires 2 battery units which had to be requested in ordering and a dual charger they offer is also a good idea. They plan to add carrying cases at a future date. Lastly, I want to say these are not toys by any means and they will cause horrible ocular damage both directly and via reflection. Never point at the sky, never point at people, never point at windowd, basically never point at anything you do not want to harm...well at least till you fully understand the power and focal control.

That is all I can recall, things in Hong Kong have devolved horribly of late (Riots and Fires).

Hiya!

Yes I have Eagle's 190nm to 540 nm goggles rated for 6od. Thank you for this recommendation. Now I have grown impatient on waiting on my 7w from Sanwu held up by the China protests etc. I have not requested a refund as of yet, if it shows up it shows up. I have since begun a high end build of a 7w using a NUBMM V2 diode etc from DTR's Laser Shop. I'm very excited on this project. Thanks for you reply! :)

Laserbran

Irrelevant Post:

Encap and Steve, you two really get around the forums I notice. I wanted to mention something about lasers for self defense without NecroPosting. It is relevant to the current members of this conversation as all three of you were present in some capacity. The federal ruling on lasers over 5mw is that they are strictly illegal and not to draw attention to yourself if you have them. So, it can be concluded that using them in any manner that might result I law enforcement involvement would be very very bad for the owner. Here in Ga we are told that law enforcement would rather us shoot and kill an intruder or follow legal guidelines for issues outside of the home.

An extenuated circumstance that might allow the use of a high power laser to defend yourself could be in the case of life or death. I personally have the 800mw pocket laser from sanwu and a tap gun (single shot tube and ring .38) I carry both everywhere encase something wrong occurs. They are intended to be used in tandem is all I will say on that. But again I am in the south and it is strictly frowned upon to cross each other here.

Again, This was an Off Topic Post.

Hiya;
Thank you for the concern but I have truly checked. You can own and operate any watt laser in the US. What is illegal is of course pointing it at aircraft, people, pets, property etc. You can buy insanely powerful lasers for CNC machines as well from US distributers you only have to be over 18 to own them. Now back in the day yes a special certificate was needed to own and operate them(only professors and universities owned high powered ones) but that was changed in the early 2000s. Now if I buy or build a high powered laser it is illegal to for me to sell, trade, or give said laser away, that is true. But components can be legally sold so if you dismantle the laser it can be sold off. Now ready to build Kits are a sorta grey area that can in some circumstances get you in trouble.

ObliviTech

Hmm, the article I had read was either old or propaganda then, shrug.
Double posting is a no no huh, yea not apologizing seriously don't care. Spam posting I could understand but two posts following eachother with a number of hours inbetween naw. I can also understand not resurrecting old topics, well no not really, so long as the comments remain directly relevant then they still belong in an old section, ya know otherwise you get told to make sure such topics do not already exist.
Oh, and let's not have your posts sound confrontational unless you are ready for a sharp reply such as this. A neutral statement of correction with citation goes much further, or even a request to check facts, which I did check facts after reading your (Encap) reply and saw you are correct and as I said what I had read must have been old or propaganda which happens on the internet, atleast now I know a bit more. Again, comments educational not confrontational, I love to argue and will.