Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Pocket 488nm damaged lense

BlueQ

Unfortunately, the lens of my Sanwu Pocket 488nm got damaged, the beam is unfocused and quite divergent now. Additionally, I possibly lost the spring inside - I am not certain if that one had a spring inside though - it's been a while since it got damaged and I can't quite recall. The diode itself works properly. I do suppose it's the 7mm G2 lens listed on Sanwu's website that I need in order to replace the faulty lens?

Can't speak for what lens they use but I can confirm there is no spring that goes inside these. Could maybe email them or contact podo here.

BlueQ

I reached out to Sanwu and they said that the G2 7mm may work but I would probably need the original 3 element lens, which I accordingly ordered. I keep this thread updated on the repair process.

BlueQ

Well I got the 3 element lens from Sanwu delivered (Lens at the top). Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
I am not quite certain how to proceed though. The other two parts are from the Sanwu Pocket laser - I have to remove the remaining parts of the old lens but I can't get it out.
Option B would be too remove the lens from the holder of the replacement part and carefully push it inside that "metal pipe", probably screwing it up.
I would much rather remove the old metal holder but there is seemingly no way to get it out of there.
2020-09-06 15_06_09-IMG_20200906_145045.jpg ‎- Photos.png

The old metal holder does unscrew. Might just be tight at first, I have a small pick that I used to unscrew it from the other side

BlueQ

Could you maybe show me an image of the pick you used. Just tried for half an hour, I wasn't able to unscrew it. Even if I get it out, I have to screw the other one in and there is no chance of not damaging it in the process, maybe option B is easier.

gazer101

If the pick doesn't fit, maybe use a dremel with a tiny disk to surgicaly and carefully cut away the old metal holder's wall

Or optionally you could try taking the lens components out of the plastic lens and placing them correctly into the old metal holder

There may be an adhesive used to keep the old lens tube in place (this is common). Gentle heat should break the bond and make it easier to remove. If you have a small utility torch or soldering iron, you can use that to heat the lens tube. Too much heat will ruin the finish of the lens cap, so be careful.
If this works, you will want to use a small pick to scrape away any adhesive remaining in the threads, being careful not to damage the threads.
Afterward, rinse the parts thoroughly with clean water or alcohol to remove metal and adhesive particles before installing the new lens.

just a FYI... mine has gotten fairly loose from removing a lot of the adhesive residue. There's no easy way to keep a spring in there either... caution advised.

BlueQ

I am going to try removing the metal barrel by heating it with the soldering iron first, I had no luck by brute force.
If the pick doesn't fit, maybe use a dremel with a tiny disk to surgicaly and carefully cut away the old metal holder's wall

Or optionally you could try taking the lens components out of the plastic lens and placing them correctly into the old metal holder

That is my option B, but it's unlikely that I manage to do it without damage to the lenses.
Of course, there is light at the end of the tunnel, If the heat wont work, I am going to ask Sanwu for a whole new top part when I order my next pocket laser, I guess it should only make ~30 USD extra. Actually, might as well order 2 replacement top parts right away, if possible.

gazer101

I am going to try removing the metal barrel by heating it with the soldering iron first, I had no luck by brute force.

That is my option B, but it's unlikely that I manage to do it without damage to the lenses.
Of course, there is light at the end of the tunnel, If the heat wont work, I am going to ask Sanwu for a whole new top part when I order my next pocket laser, I guess it should only make ~30 USD extra. Actually, might as well order 2 replacement top parts right away, if possible.
I've done it before, as long as you don't drop the lenses or scratch them you should be fine

BlueQ

Well, now it's too late either way as I deformed the top part of the lens when attempting to heat it up to remove the metal barrel from the old lens to no avail. Essentially, the top part is beyond repair. Well, I tried. I just have to order a whole new top part (likely some more for backup) once I order my next Sanwu Laser.