Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu guardian host and diode configuration (green laser)

So I've been out of the laser scene for quite some time now but every now and then I like to dive back in and experience what I've been missing.

Got my eyes set on a Sanwu Guardian laser however I'm unsure of two options: The host material and diode.

From experience, would the white copper (Nickel platted copper) be the better option vs the stainless steel body?

The former would perform better in terms of thermal conductivity and duty cycle but surely the stainless steel body would be more hard wearing for daily abuse.

Also, with regards to the diode there are 2 options to chose from: 520 and 525 nm.

Never seen any of those wavelength in real life but since they both come in a 1W output, which one would be the better choice here?

I emailed Sanwu and they said both have similar beam specs but wouldn't the 525 nm be a bit brighter as it is close to the wavelength our eyes are most sensitive to (555 nm) vs the 520 nm laser diode.

Any additional info that would make the purchasing decision more accurate is highly appreciated!

bulukaki

I spent quite some time contemplating before purchasing, so here we go.

Sanwu's "white copper" I assume means cupronickel alloy. It should be a similar material to the Nickel (5c coin).

When new, copper nickel and stainless steel look very similar. Stainless steel wouldn't discolor much over the years, but cupronickel tarnishes and become yellower, darker and matte-looking. But it looks neat, my Challenger II looks like an ancient Star Wars relic or something.

So far, no durability issues from either material. I have ever dropped both on different occassions though. It left a few scratches on my Pocket, but on my Challenger II the drop left one small but noticeable ding on the edge of the focus adaptor.

As for the wavelength, personally I'm more concerned about the specific diode used for the option instead of the wavelength that Sanwu claims (465 vs 470, 520 vs 525, 635 vs 638). Also whether the diode is a decanned one, and what is the typical price of the diode. Some diodes also have unique quirks that's either desirable or not depending on your liking.

For the price, I would assume that the base price for every model includes the host + driver + lens. So the additional price is the approximate price that Sanwu is charging you for the diode itself. This way, it's relatively easy to spot which models and options are overpriced and which are good deals.

I have made a spreadsheet (somewhere in my PC) comparing every output of every model offered by Sanwu. But I noticed they have increased the price on several options so it's kinda outdated.

IIRC these were my key takeaway points:

4-5watt 465nm has decanned diode
1-1.2 watt of 525nm has decanned diode

Cheaper diodes are overpriced on the Ranger (+$80 to +$100 on Ranger, +$0 to +$30 on other models), while the expensive options are priced similar to other models. So the dimmer feature is practically "free" on expensive diodes but +$80 on cheaper diodes.

Of all their options, the most uncommon diodes that Sanwu sells seem to be 2-watt 465nm (NDB7675) and 635nm tri-beam (Mitsu G84). Not sure what diode the 455nm 150mW is though, but the others seem pretty common and can be easily bought as a complete build from other sellers.

Silver is basically Challenger II with double-length battery tube.
Guardian with extended heatsink is basically Challenger II with half-length battery tube.

Hope that helps!

I spent quite some time contemplating before purchasing, so here we go.

Sanwu's "white copper" I assume means cupronickel alloy. It should be a similar material to the Nickel (5c coin).

When new, copper nickel and stainless steel look very similar. Stainless steel wouldn't discolor much over the years, but cupronickel tarnishes and become yellower, darker and matte-looking. But it looks neat, my Challenger II looks like an ancient Star Wars relic or something.

So far, no durability issues from either material. I have ever dropped both on different occassions though. It left a few scratches on my Pocket, but on my Challenger II the drop left one small but noticeable ding on the edge of the focus adaptor.

As for the wavelength, personally I'm more concerned about the specific diode used for the option instead of the wavelength that Sanwu claims (465 vs 470, 520 vs 525, 635 vs 638). Also whether the diode is a decanned one, and what is the typical price of the diode. Some diodes also have unique quirks that's either desirable or not depending on your liking.

For the price, I would assume that the base price for every model includes the host + driver + lens. So the additional price is the approximate price that Sanwu is charging you for the diode itself. This way, it's relatively easy to spot which models and options are overpriced and which are good deals.

I have made a spreadsheet (somewhere in my PC) comparing every output of every model offered by Sanwu. But I noticed they have increased the price on several options so it's kinda outdated.

IIRC these were my key takeaway points:

4-5watt 465nm has decanned diode
1-1.2 watt of 525nm has decanned diode

Cheaper diodes are overpriced on the Ranger (+$80 to +$100 on Ranger, +$0 to +$30 on other models), while the expensive options are priced similar to other models. So the dimmer feature is practically "free" on expensive diodes but +$80 on cheaper diodes.

Of all their options, the most uncommon diodes that Sanwu sells seem to be 2-watt 465nm (NDB7675) and 635nm tri-beam (Mitsu G84). Not sure what diode the 455nm 150mW is though, but the others seem pretty common and can be easily bought as a complete build from other sellers.

Silver is basically Challenger II with double-length battery tube.
Guardian with extended heatsink is basically Challenger II with half-length battery tube.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the detailed response!

As you mentioned that the 525 nm diode is a de-canned one and from experience that means it is more likely to be damaged over time due to dust and debris affecting its performance so maybe that's why the 520 nm diode is the more expensive option here.

To be able to get the same power output without having to de-can a diode generally means a more efficient diode hence the 20$ premium over the 525 nm model.

I think I will go for the "white copper" body as I prefer the more dense feel of copper in my hand and for the enhanced thermal characteristics. If I end up liking the laser I might get other models with different host options each time to better differentiate between them.

Sowee7

As you mentioned that the 525 nm diode is a de-canned one and from experience that means it is more likely to be damaged over time due to dust and debris affecting its performance so maybe that's why the 520 nm diode is the more expensive option here.

To be able to get the same power output without having to de-can a diode generally means a more efficient diode hence the 20$ premium over the 525 nm model.

I think I will go for the "white copper" body as I prefer the more dense feel of copper in my hand and for the enhanced thermal characteristics. If I end up liking the laser I might get other models with different host options each time to better differentiate between them.
de-canned violet/blue/cyan/green diodes also degrade in air

bulukaki

Glad to help! The 1.6 watt 525nm is a new diode and it's not decanned, so if you really want 525nm it may be the better option to go to. (I imagine it'll be insanely bright!)

Glad to help! The 1.6 watt 525nm is a new diode and it's not decanned, so if you really want 525nm it may be the better option to go to. (I imagine it'll be insanely bright!)

I would have definitely opted for the 1.6W 525nm diode but since the maximum output in the guardian series is 1W for both the 520 and 525 nm versions, I decided to go for the 520 nm model with the hopes of it not being de-canned.

Placed my order last night :).

Last edited: