Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Challenger 465nm/2W (NDB7675) Review

bulukaki

This is a review of Sanwu Challenger II 465nm/2W
(will be updated in the near future)

The Wait
I placed my order on November 11 with Fedex/DHL shipping option ($40). The laser was shipped on December 8 and arrived on December 11.

Since I wanted to have a tritium slot on the on/off button, I asked Francis to put a Sanwu RGB button cap instead of the regular one (for no additional cost, thanks Francis!). I asked about this a few weeks ahead of my actual order.

PSX_20201214_025859.jpg
Surprise surprise, Francis actually sent a fully assembled Sanwu RGB tailcap in addition to the laser itself. Sadly, the RGB tailcap doesn't fit -- it uses a different-sized thread.

I'm going to swap the button cap once I manage to disassemble the RGB tailcap assembly. I managed to disassemble both tailcaps and put the RGB button cap on the Challenger II

The Host
PSX_20201214_025930.jpg

The Sanwu Challenger II host is made of solid cupronickel alloy and measures 24x140mm. When arrived, there are a few tiny metal shavings sticking here and there. Spent a few minutes to clean it, no big deal.

With batteries inserted it is quite hefty for its size, but well-balanced and pleasant to handle.

Being made of cupronickel, it has a yellowish tinge and has started to darken/ tarnish a bit (I have particularly sweaty hands and the weather is humid here).

The Guts
I ordered the 465nm/2W option with single-mode driver powered by 2 18350 batteries. Francis confirms that the 465nm/2W option runs a NDB7675 diode.

462nmdata.png

NDB7675 is an interesting diode since the emitted wavelength gets longer as it gets supplied with more current (graph by @Cyparagon). Since this correlation holds up from practically zero amp 'til beyond the power foldback, the laser should be shifting wavelength during soft start. (I need to get a diffraction grating to be certain though!)

Visually, it starts with a deep blue (a tad lighter than RGB-blue) and changes to a sky blue color in the first second. In the next 2-3 seconds it gets slightly brighter until reaching full power.

But what makes me believe it does shift wavelength is the beam's interference pattern. The pattern changes during soft-start and then stays put when reaching full power. (I will try to get this on camera)

The Beam
Challenger II 465nm & Pocket 492nm, both photos are 4-second long exposure with ISO 50. Taken with Samsung Galaxy S9+.
PSX_20201214_025952.jpgPSX_20201214_025959.jpg

The Conclusion
Is the laser worth the $350 price tag? In my opinion, yes! The host is very well-built and has decent duty cycle for its small size. Also, NDB7675's beautiful, bright sky blue color is a worthy addition to any wavelength collector.

The laser beam isn't perfectly aligned with the host, but it isn't that noticeable. Also it's kind of disappointing that Sanwu doesn't make screw-on lens cap for their products (are there any machinist out there? ;))

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

This is a review of Sanwu Challenger II 465nm/2W
(will be updated in the near future)

The Wait
I placed my order on November 11 with Fedex/DHL shipping option ($40). The laser was shipped on December 8 and arrived on December 11.

Since I wanted to have a tritium slot on the on/off button, I asked Francis to put a Sanwu RGB button cap instead of the regular one (for no additional cost, thanks Francis!). I asked about this a few weeks ahead of my actual order.

View attachment 70791
Surprise surprise, Francis actually sent a fully assembled Sanwu RGB tailcap in addition to the laser itself. Sadly, the RGB tailcap doesn't fit -- it uses a different-sized thread.

I'm going to swap the button cap once I manage to disassemble the RGB tailcap assembly.

The Host
View attachment 70792

The Sanwu Challenger II host is made of solid cupronickel alloy and measures 24x140mm. When arrived, there are a few tiny metal shavings sticking here and there. Spent a few minutes to clean it, no big deal.

With batteries inserted it is quite hefty for its size, but well-balanced and pleasant to handle.

Being made of cupronickel, it has a yellowish tinge and has started to darken/ tarnish a bit (I have particularly sweaty hands and the weather is humid here).

The Guts
I ordered the 465nm/2W option with single-mode driver powered by 2 18350 batteries. Francis confirms that the 465nm/2W option runs a NDB7675 diode.

462nmdata.png

NDB7675 is an interesting diode since the emitted wavelength gets longer as it gets supplied with more current (graph by @Cyparagon). Since this correlation holds up from practically zero amp 'til beyond the power foldback, the laser should be shifting wavelength during soft start. (I need to get a diffraction grating to be certain though!)

Visually, it starts with a deep blue (a tad lighter than RGB-blue) and changes to a sky blue color in the first second. In the next 2-3 seconds it gets slightly brighter until reaching full power.

But what makes me believe it does shift wavelength is the beam's interference pattern. The pattern changes during soft-start and then stays put when reaching full power. (I will try to get this on camera)

The Beam
Challenger II 465nm & Pocket 492nm, both photos are 4-second long exposure with ISO 50. Taken with Samsung Galaxy S9+.
View attachment 70793View attachment 70794

The Conclusion
Is the laser worth the $350 price tag? In my opinion, yes! The host is very well-built and has decent duty cycle for its small size. Also, NDB7675's beautiful, bright sky blue color is a worthy addition to any wavelength collector.

The laser beam isn't perfectly aligned with the host, but it isn't that noticeable. Also it's kind of disappointing that Sanwu doesn't make screw-on lens cap for their products (are there any machinist out there? ;))
Good review and thanks for the graph! Really interesting... May test that by replacing the driver in my 465 build with one of my 3A boosts with the soft start set to 10s and the current setting to 2A.....

bulukaki

Good review and thanks for the graph! Really interesting... May test that by replacing the driver in my 465 build with one of my 3A boosts with the soft start set to 10s and the current setting to 2A.....
Thanks! I didn't clarify about the interference pattern -- it is interference at the edge of the laser dot, only visible when unfocused.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Awesome laser and great review. A Sanwu Challenger II is definitely next on my list. Just can't decide what guts I want in it yet! :D

bulukaki

Awesome laser and great review. A Sanwu Challenger II is definitely next on my list. Just can't decide what guts I want in it yet! :D
Due to the steep price of the laser, it may be a good idea to go all-out and get the uncommon diode like, say, the Mitsu G84 :D

bulukaki

Update: I was able to disassemble the tailcap and switch the button caps.

The Mod
PSX_20201215_154201.jpgPSX_20201215_154213.jpg
The actual button cap is held captive by a threaded spacer that is superglued in place. To remove it I had to carefully file two notches to get a good grip, then soak it in acetone and slightly bend it inwards by hitting with a wooden dowel and a hammer. All the time while making sure I didn't do unintended damage to the butter-soft cupronickel host, particularly the internal thread!

Also, I secured the tritium only with a splotch of clear paint/lacquer, so in the far future it would be easy to replace the tritium.

PSX_20201215_154232.jpg
RGB's button cap is slightly thicker, so the Challenger II is unable to stand on its tail now.

The New Look
It looks cooler than I thought, too bad I only got 1 tritium... Now I've got an alibi to put another order at Sanwu 😈
PSX_20201215_154257.jpgPSX_20201215_154315.jpgPSX_20201215_154332.jpgPSX_20201215_154345.jpg

Attachments

• PSX_20201215_154322.jpg
    PSX_20201215_154322.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 8