Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 7w 445 single mode and multi mode comparison tests?

Laserbran

Hello guys, apologies hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere just spent an hour searching for similar posts. I found the Sanwu Striker 7w 445 nm reviews and meter tests showing 7.5watt actual outpit, very cool. Now I rescently ordered the single mode but they got back to me that one multimode was available due to the current restrictions in China etc and their current line is greatly diminished in availability and that China might even stop laser production and sales outside of China for class 4 lasers! So I said yes to sending me the multimode. Now somewhere online I heard the multimode is a little less maximum output of about 6.5 watt. Now sanwu stated that that is not true and that the same diode used in the single mode is used in the multimode and that both are a true 7w in full power mode(with the multmode) my question is has anyone ever actually metered this on here between the two versions? My opologies if this should have been posted elsewhere, please feel free moderators to move this post to a more appropriate location on here. Many thanks guys!

Encap

You already have the answer directly from Sanwu who makes the device. Sanwu has metered them.
"Now sanwu stated ....the same diode used in the single mode is used in the multimode and that both are a true 7w in full power mode(with the multmode) "

Laserbran

Im truly not worried at all...100% excited about receiving it! Many thanks for the reply friend.

Encap

PS You need some serious laser safety glasses with a 7W laser no matter how or where you use it if you don't have any.
Safe operation and use always comes first.
Suggest you obtain an Eagle Pair to protect your eyes before using it, see: https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Safety_Goggles/cat1667093_1527285.aspx

See this excellent web site : https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

See Laser Hazard Chart here: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

Laserbran

PS You need some serious laser safety glasses with a 7W laser no matter how or where you use it if you don't have any.
Safe operation and use always comes first.
Suggest you obtain an Eagle Pair to protect your eyes before using it, see: https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Safety_Goggles/cat1667093_1527285.aspx

See this excellent web site : https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

See Laser Hazard Chart here: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

Hiya friend. Yeah I have 190-540 nm goggles. The eagle brand...paid 50usd for them and tested them with my meter with a 1w445, 1.2w445, and a 5w (actually reads 3.5w)445 on my meter. Ordered them from survivallasers. Thanks again tho...don't want to lose my eyes to a hobby!

OrangeDragon

I believe the “single-mode” vs “multi-mode” in Sanwu’s case is about the features/functions of the driver - NOT the laser diode itself, which is the same between models.

The confusion arises because single mode and multi-mode laser diodes have their own specific meaning that is very different how Sanwu uses the term.

Laserbran

I believe the “single-mode” vs “multi-mode” in Sanwu’s case is about the features/functions of the driver - NOT the laser diode itself, which is the same between models.

The confusion arises because single mode and multi-mode laser diodes have their own specific meaning that is very different how Sanwu uses the term.

Yes that is what sanwu tells me but on a YouTube review it was stated the multimode produced about .5-1W less but sanwu stakes the two models again use the same diodes and in full power mode is 7w guaranteed. Now dirty lenses, number of lenses, power charge of battery etc all add up to power loss but I'm not afraid. Very excited about the laser! Thanks for the reply.

There is no 7 watt single mode laser diode. Not only is that a multi-mode diode, but it diverges more than any other multi-mode visible diode on the market at this time. Without corrective optics it will give you a long line instead of a dot when viewing the beam's profile.

Encap

There is no 7 watt single mode laser diode. Not only is that a multi-mode diode, but it diverges more than any other multi-mode visible diode on the market at this time. Without corrective optics it will give you a long line instead of a dot when viewing the beam's profile.

Exactly--Highest output but worst beam quality of any diode laser available at this time. Large rectangle/line , no round dot.

Laserbran

Update, Sanwu metered the actual striker 7w 445 they were going to send and only got a max output of 5.6w...their standard is at least 6.2w with the multimode 7w. They said they are fixing it. I've offered to pay more to get near 6.5w if a new diode is required. They have very quick and nice customer service. Not having a great time in the laser world but still excited about the purchase. Also I know multimode diodes and constant mode diodes are what you guys are talking about, not how Sanwu is meaning the driver options. Now all diodes i understand produce a flatish beam since diodes are two flat materials interacting to produce photons so it is the lense that dictates the final shape. The diodes in open projection from my three 445s all produce flat rectangle shaped light without lenses in place. I'm of course no expert and learning a lot on here...thanks guys for your thoughtful replies.

If you all read through the OP's situation, you'll see that he/she is referring to the multi power modes of the lasers and not the type of diode ..

Be careful though ordering those high powered ones from Sanwu. They sell two distinctive lasers at that wavelength. A 5watt one and the 7+ watt one. Sometimes they mess things up, apparently. It is quite possible for you to pay for the 7 watt and end up receiving the 5watt instead, unless you know better, you'll not know really any difference.. Plus with all this stuff going in in China concerning lasers, things are even more out of whack... I have the 5 watt one. Even though it's a little cheaper, I think it's a better laser in my opinion. Slightly better beam quality and it has a cover over the delicate parts to help it last longer

Last edited:
You should note that even single mode diodes look rectangular when not collimated. It is actually the diode's emitter that gives you the ultimate shape of the beam profile, not the lens.