Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 488nm G7 Pocket Laser Review

620 would probably be very red still. I've heard people with tunable HeNe's say they often mistake the 612nm line for the 632.8nm line. I'd much rather 605nm.

__

Fitting another diode/driver shouldn't be terribly hard. Un-pressing a diode is easy, especially if you don't care if the diode makes it. I'll ask my buddy to bring his pocket over sometime this week and see if a nano driver or a micro flex would fit into it. We disassembled it a little bit to see if we could pot mod the driver, only took a minute to take apart.

if this is true then i would prefer the 605-610nm wavelengh,hope one day to have a filled visible spectrum with direct diodes :wave:

Great first review, cyberdoc. Glad you put it in a thread. Can't rep you again just yet. ;)

Great first review, cyberdoc. Glad you put it in a thread. Can't rep you again just yet. ;)

Thanks Paul, and everyone who’s commented on my review of the new Sanwu 488nm Pocket Laser. I felt very lucky to have received it so soon, as at least six LPF members had ordered one. I wanted everyone to have an opportunity to know how the new Pocket performed outside of Sanwu’s lab. I meant to thank Sanwu for installing the G7 lens and sending the 488nm diode that I requested. The beautiful sky blue beam is almost hypnotic. I’m happy for everyone that this WL has become much easier to obtain, both for laser builderts and collectors. Please Take Care and Be Well. :D

-cd

Last edited:
I have a G-7 lens I bought to test with. I should dig it out and see what it looks like with mine. It seems that I tried it out with my 493nm laser and my 502nm one and wasn't impressed with the results. Still prefer these acrylic lenses. I also have a 12 mm FL lens and some empty housings. Might have to give it a try as well.

Last edited:

Razako

:drool:
would you rather have a multimode 2 watt 589nm, a Multimode 2 watt 488nm, or a Multimode 2 watt 620nm? those are all stunning wavelengths so that's a toughie. I think we all can almost agree that we all would like to see a direct yellow :)

Oh, that's easy. 589 nm direct diode would be a dream come true. DPSS yellow lasers are super overpriced and hideously inefficient.

jnrpop

Hi cd,

If you get the chance, could you confirm if there is/is-not a number printed around the can edge in these new 488 pockets? It will tell us if sanwu are also using the GH04850B2G diodes :D

EDIT: mine arrived! just took a photo, yes they are using the new 490 diode.
Will put up a review soon :beer:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8418.JPG
    IMG_8418.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Of the ~30 diodes I have seen, all had that number stamped around the window. That might change in the future, but for now, that seems to be it.

Hi cd,

If you get the chance, could you confirm if there is/is-not a number printed around the can edge in these new 488 pockets? It will tell us if sanwu are also using the GH04850B2G diodes :D

Of the ~30 diodes I have seen, all had that number stamped around the window. That might change in the future, but for now, that seems to be it.

Hi All:

The diode in my new Sharp 488nm Pocket has the same number stamped around its window. Thanks and Take Care. :D

-cd

Oh, that's easy. 589 nm direct diode would be a dream come true. DPSS yellow lasers are super overpriced and hideously inefficient.

hah, yeah that was borderline stupid question. I would have to agree with you. I just hope that day comes eventually.